Settlement Certificates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Settlement Certificates

Does anyone have experience of these? I've got a scan of a settlement certificate, dated 1772, which I don't understand. The first half is the Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor confirming that James Churcher and his wife Grace have the right to settle in Arundel, Sussex. The second part, on the same piece of paper, is addressed to the Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor of East Grinstead, Sussex, and is signed by a couple of JPs confirming that the Arundel Settlement Certificate is genuine and properly witnessed and signed.

James and Grace were married in East Grinstead in 1772 and their 7 children, born between 1772 and 1788 were baptised in East Grinstead.

I'm told by other researchers of this tree that James was born in Arundel.

Can anyone explain to me the meaning and purpose of this certificate of settlement?

Thank you.:conf:
    Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

That sort of thing had to be sorted out whenever someone fell on hard times and needed the support of the parish. The parishes didn't take on expenses like that unless they had to. As a result you get disputes between parishes as to which has to pick up the tab.

From what you describe, you need to think of a situation in which Arundel is confirming to East Grinstead that they could be called on to pick up the tab, even though the children were born in East Grinstead. It does encourage the idea that James was born in Arundel - there aren't many other reasons why Arundel would have to accept responsibility.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks - that makes sense!
      Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

Working...
      X