Help for an 86 yr old to find her Grandfather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help for an 86 yr old to find her Grandfather

I have been asked to see if I can find the below in any census before those already found. Any help much appreciated. I have just finished trawling through 1851 Camerton census but no Ascombe family living there.

Any other advice where to search etc welcome.

Charles William Ascombe c1850
    Unable to find a birth reg:(
    Marriage cert states Father William - gardener

1881 RG11; Piece: 4627; Folio: 96; Page: 3
    Charles W. Ascombe born c 1850 Camerton, Somerset
    Spouse - Elizabeth nee Holmes – married 1880 Doncaster reg.
    Address: Endcliffe Hall Lodge
    Occupation -Servant Gardener (Dom)
    Household
    Charles W. Ascombe 31
    Elizabeth Ascombe 26

1891 RG12; Piece: 3805; Folio 82; Page 9
    Charles W Ascombe born c 1850 Camerton, Somerset
    Household
    Charles W Ascombe 41
    Elizabeth Ascombe 36
    William H Ascombe 7
    Ernest H Ascombe 6

1901 RG13; Piece: 4351; Folio: 98; Page: 3.
    Charles W Ascombe born c1850 Camerton, Somerset
    Household
    Charles W Ascombe 51
    Elizabeth Ascombe 46
    William H Ascombe 17
    Ernest H Ascombe 16
    Last edited by Yvonne the Sandgrounder; 01-10-09, 14:57. Reason: Copyright

Dog's have Owners, Cats have Staff
    It is easier to get older than it is to get wiser

The problem here seems to be that it is a very rare surname. I have found that the rarer the name the more likely it is to be mistranscribed.

Having said that there are no Charles born around that time in Camerton according to the 1861 and 1871 censuses except a Charles Smallcombe in the 1861.

Anne

Comment

Yvonne

Just to let you know I am also having a look but getting nowhere at the moment.
      Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Thanks both.
        Had a look at that Smallcombe but I think we can cross him off. Further down was a William Smallcombe who I looked at but he wasn't a gardener.

Comment

Camerton is in the reg district of Clutton.

I have looked at Charles William born 1848-1855 and the only people coming up are Parsons born Mar 1851 and Martin born Dec 1851.

Going to look at them now
          Lin

Comment

Originally posted by Yvonne the Sandgrounder View Post
            Thanks both.
            Had a look at that Smallcombe but I think we can cross him off. Further down was a William Smallcombe who I looked at but he wasn't a gardener.
            Agree not the correct person as he appears in the 1881 Census as Charles Smallcombe

Also rather baffled because on Free BMD there are NO ascombes before 1870's,

Comment

He's on the 1911 census in Eccleshall Bierlow Yorks aged 61.
              Lin

Comment

Very strange no Ascombes around. I just put in Ascombe and it appears all the births and marriages seem to descended only from Charles William.
                Only 3 deaths and they are down in London, 1849, 1874, 1875 and two of them are children.

I think there is a name change here, so probably will never find him.

Thanks for looking anyway.
                Last edited by Yvonne the Sandgrounder; 01-10-09, 15:32.

Comment

Yvonne

Have you got his death. I can't see it on Freebmd but if you have a rough date we could perhaps find something mistranscribed.
                  Lin

Comment

There is a William Lambdon (transcribed as Lambston) aged 25, gardener, in the Camerton, Somerset 1851 census. (Piece 1939, Folio 504 page 14) I can't read his place of birth. that's all I have so far

Linda
                    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

No sorry don't have his death. Just had a look on Ancestry but seems to be agter 1915.

Comment

Thanks Linda, had a look at that, cannot make out either where he was born. Translated as Chankingh, so no idea:o

Comment

HI

Found this one Charles W ASCOMBE bn 1850 in the 1871 showing as being born Nofolk Occ Gardner

RG10 Piece:
                          4716 Folio:
                          117 Page:

Living at Keepers Lodge Sprotbrough, Civil Parish Sprotbrough REG District being Doncaster
                          WendyP

Comment

Wendy, did you notice on that 1871 census the entry above hima. also a gardener was born in Camerton Somerset? Do you think they got muddled up? Very strange

Linda
                            Linda

Comment

Originally posted by WendyP View Post
                              HI

Found this one Charles W ASCOMBE bn 1850 in the 1871 showing as being born Nofolk Occ Gardner

RG10 Piece:
                              4716 Folio:
                              117 Page:

Living at Keepers Lodge Sprotbrough, Civil Parish Sprotbrough REG District being Doncaster
                              I notice the person above comes from camerton !!!

Beat me to it Ozgirl-I think they were muddled up as well
                              Also in Ancestry misstranscribed as Ascombo

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                                Wendy, did you notice on that 1871 census the entry above hima. also a gardener was born in Camerton Somerset? Do you think they got muddled up? Very strange

Linda
                                In 1871 Charles W Ascombe (transcribed "Arcombo") is given PoB Faversham, Norfolk.
                                The 19-year-old on the row above, allegedly b Camerton was called George Spinks.
                                There's a 9-year-old George Spinks b & living in Taverham, Norfolk, in 1861.

And the 1871 enumerator was already changing the record - so he'd obviously already made at least one mistake.

Christine
                                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Referring to my previous post William Lambdon was born in Chawleigh - I found him on subsequent census, but no son called Charles.

Linda
                                  Linda

Comment

Just on a whim, I put the surname into the YorksBMD marriages database (Yorkshire Births Marriages & Deaths)

In 1880, ASCOMBE Charles W ~ married HOLMES Elizabeth ~ at St John's, Balby, Doncaster ~ Registers at Doncaster ~ ref CE1/1/194

That's the only Ascombe marriage from 1837 to 2008 in their database. I gather you have the cert already. There are no births or deaths recorded (yet), but they don't include Doncaster in the list of potential districts.

Christine
                                    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 01-10-09, 16:49.
                                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks so much for your help everyone,
                                      I reckon the one you found in 1871 is him, it even looks like Ascomb* on the census.

Comment

hi i have just seen and i cant get on ancestry at moment but i think ( cant check) that private Ascombes tree on ancestry
                                        wye surrey/london/birmingham
                                        lawrence/laurence berkshire/london/norfolk
                                        hall harrison cook/e pratt surrey
                                        ebbage maltby pratt norfolk
                                        herbert pratt yorkshire/hampshire
                                        armstrong/rickinson/harrison/beddington yorkshire

Comment

Working...
                                        X