Genealogy toolbar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genealogy toolbar

Just heard about the M&LFHS Genealogy toolbar through the Sussex Link newsletter, and thought that people might find it handy:

Manchester and Lancashire FHS Home Page

Beats scrolling through your favourites!! :smilee:
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

I've used it for a bit now and find it brilliant - everything that I want is there !!

Comment

Just bumping this thread up in case anyone hasn't come across it yet - I wouldn't be without it now!!
      Caroline
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thanks for this, just installed it and will try it out.
        Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

Does this replace your regular toolbar or is it in addition?

At the moment my screen is so tiny if it is an addition I wouldn't have room for anything else. lol:D
          Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Vivienne View Post
            Does this replace your regular toolbar or is it in addition?

At the moment my screen is so tiny if it is an addition I wouldn't have room for anything else. lol:D
            It's an addition, it does take up the real estate at the top of the screen - best bet is to "suck it and see". I don't use the Google or Yahoo toolbars so that frees up space to fit it in. It is just one row.

It gives you drop down menus for BMDS, Archives, Ireland, Scotland, PPV, Publications, Societies, Black Sheep, Overseas and Other - all the necessary in one place and it updates itself every so often.
            Caroline

Comment

I think I'll wait Caroline, my screen is only 15" but my daughter has a 19" that she will be bringing down soon.;D
              Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

This may help, it explains how to show/hide toolbar on your screen so you can make it dissapear when you dont want it.

Thanks for the toolbar I have downloaded it and it looks excellent.
                I have shown it to all my friends on BBC Family History Board too.
                Edna

Comment

If you don't want to download another toolbar then you can create a similar thing using the Toolbar Bookmarks in Firefox. I have drop down menus across my toolbar for Genealogy Gen / Ancestry / Newspapers / Gen. Forums / PRs / Images / Misc / Family Tree websites / FTF forum, amongst others.

Each of these bookmarks contain a drop down listing of my favourite/bookmarked sites - some of the drop down listings even contain further subfolders, for example, under the Genealogy General bookmark I have subforums for Crime & Punishment / Military / Occupations / Photographs / India / Emigration.

Have just downloaded the toolbar which Caroline has recommended and find there are a few links I haven't got on my toolbar, so am sorting through and adding them!
                  Elaine

Comment

Well done to Caroline - never one to miss an opportunity!

She has just contacted Manchester & Lancashire FHS suggesting a couple of new links for the toolbar - including Family Tree Forum!
                    So if you download the toolbar you will find us on the Other drop down menu, listed under Forum and Mailing Lists

Let's hope it generates a few new members.
                    Elaine

Comment

The organiser of the toolbar welcomes suggestions for the toolbar. It does already cover a wide range.
                      "We welcome all suggestions for links and if your members wish to propose useful links they will be appreciated. We naturally tend to be a North West UK oriented society but will always include links which are of general interest. We also try to include some overseas links as many of our members have overseas interests. So far we have not sunk under the weight!"

Caroline

Comment

Thanks Caroline have downloaded it.

Couldn't see FTF on the menu Elaine mentioned, so I "Refreshed the Toolbar" and it appeared as if by magic!
                        Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by WendyPusey View Post
                          Thanks Caroline have downloaded it.

Couldn't see FTF on the menu Elaine mentioned, so I "Refreshed the Toolbar" and it appeared as if by magic!
                          Took me some time to see it myself on FF ... felt rather silly when I realised!!
                          Caroline

Comment

I got this when it first came out, then I changed computers and lost the link for it and generally forgot all about it, but I've now got it back and its great , loved it first time, love it even more this time

Comment

Could you tell me step by step how to go about downloading the toolbar (a big please )and is it just for Manchester and Lancashire thank you very much.

Bella

Comment

About halfway down the page http://www.mlfhs.org.uk/ , you will see:

M&LFHS Toolbar
                                CLICK HERE to find out how to make your family history browsing much easier

When you click on the CLICK HERE link, you get to the download screen and you choose the link for the browser you are using - then follow the instructions on the screen.

It covers just about everywhere and everything you can think of!!

Caroline

Comment

Thanks Caroline. I've downloaded the Toolbar.

Comment

Working...
                                  X