When the Register is WRONG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When the Register is WRONG

what do you do ? Make a deposition to the vicar...

For all those who are looking for the baptisms of children for Mark and Christian Monro, St Mary Rotherhithe Surrey, but can only find children for Mark and Catherine Monro........

In the middle (between pages 204 and 205, about June 1803) of the Baptism Register beginning 1792, is inserted a deposition which roughly says

"17 March 1815, before the Reverend John Lake .......
    Appearing personally, Christian Monro now residing in Paradise St Rotherhithe, the wife of Mark Monro, master mariner, and being sworn upon the Holy Evangelists to depose the truth, made oath as follows:
    On the 17th May 1797, a marriage was made and soleminised in the church of St George in Middlesex, commonly known as St Georges in the East, between, Mark Monro, then of that parish and Christian Jeffreys, then of that parish and a copy of the parish register by Rev R Farrington, Rector of Said parish, is appended.

Further that the baptism recorded in the register of St Mary Rotherhithe was for infant child, issue of Mark and Christian Monro on the 25th Day of April 1804, whereas in the register entry, Mrs Christian Monro was there and then written down and wrongfully inserted as Catherine instead of Christian, which latter was and is her true proper christian name. "

This also happened on the 13th day of June 1805 for their son baptised William Wallace Monro and AGAIN on the 27th Jun 1810 for the son baptised John Monro.

"And this deponent lastly makes Oath that Christian Jeffreys mentioned in the said certificate of marriage and Catherine or Catharine Monro (who is so designated by mistake in the register of baptism of her three children Mark, William Wallace and John Monro belonging to the parish of St Mary Rotherhithe aforesaid was and is one and the same person and not divers."

I wonder how many other people bothered to go to this trouble to correct mistakes in their parish register, and how many other mistakes there might be...........

Di
    Last edited by dicole; 01-10-09, 08:04.
    Diane
    Sydney Australia
    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

I've found some lovely ones in Lancashire where the bishop has corrected the parish registers, but I think they were because the bishop knew the family.

Comment

When you can't find exactly to right record for baptisms I am always left wondering "Did the vicar/clerk write the correct name down?"

I have been looking for years in a very small village for the baptism of Ann xxx daughter of Henry and Ann xxx. There is one at the right time for Ann xxx daughter of WILLIAM and Ann. Hmmmm!

Anne

Comment

One I found the other day was a note under a baptism which was a scathing criticism of the person who recorded the original baptism entry, the Vicar or whatever wrote something like "due to a mistake by the previous person etc" you could tell he had the right hump lol!!

So it certainly does happen! :Big Grin:

Joanie

Comment

LOL, yes Joan. The PR book for Silkstone, W Yorks is appalling for many years. No real order in it; writing all over the place; VERY difficult to read; bits missing (later found in BTs) etc, etc. THEN, suddenly all changes :Wink:. The writing is beautiful; the layout is perfect .... and there is a note (wish I'd copied it down) to the effect that the new scribe is attempting to put right the mistakes and mess made by the inefficiency of the previous person.

Anne

Comment

My gt gt grandmother Susanna Barnes' baptism is on a page where the following message has been added:

"The entries commencing on p.18 with Susanna dau of Mark & Ann Barnes and ending on p. 19 with Henry son of William & Ellen Paxton were taken from the impositions of the parents after the death of the late Mr Burrell [the curate] there having been no entry made during the current year since the 15th January at the time of my entering upon the curacy in November 1825. Thomas Beckwith, Curate"

But I wonder how many parents would check the register to make sure an entry had been made, or that it was correct?
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I came across a huge gap in a register, datewise, followed by a two page entry all in Latin.

I got someone to translate it and it was the new Vicar explaining there had been no entries for two or more years because the previous Vicar was "afflicted in the mind".

OC

Comment

Working...
              X