Possible baptism in LMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible baptism in LMA

Could someone please see if there is a baptism for Lilian May Norgate, registered June Quarter 1900 in Islington please. She is on the 1901 census as niece but with no parents (only 11 months old). If possible I would like to know the name of her parents, as her uncle only had 1 brother and she was never listed in his family. On the census, she is stated to have been born in Finsbury Park.

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

I think you may just have to bite the bullet and purchase her birth cert.
    WendyP

Comment

Nothing showing on the LMA records. Sorry.
      Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine, this is a bit of a mystery - I have found her on the 1911 with what should be her family, if she were the niece, name is Lilin, but her relationship to the head is not daughter, niece, sister, granddaughter. Can't think of any other relationship to try - she is also not visitor or servant.

Linda
        Linda

Comment

Lodger ?
          Boarder ?
          Elaine

Comment

What name have you found her under in 1911? Ignore that - found her under Lilin as stated in your post above!
            Who else is in the household?
            Elaine

Comment

She is recorded as neace! :Big Grin::Big Grin:

I tried it on the off chance as I found another one like that a couple of weeks ago!
              Elaine

Comment

she's with Charles and Elizabeth Norgate as in the 1901 census
                WendyP

Comment

Thanks - I would never have thought of neace! However it's still confusing as to who her father is, unless they were flexible with the term niece. Charles only brother was John Norgate, no sisters, and John, in 1901 at least was living next door with his wife and family. Why would you farm out your 11 month child, and why was she born in London when they are all AgLabs and so probably wouldn't have gone to London. Is a mystery!

Linda
                  Linda

Comment

Don't forget that the censuses were only snapshots of where people were on that particular night. That's probably why people sometimes appear in two places: the people at the time hadn't understood, so listed the people who were normally there, whilst the same individual might actually have slept somewhere else that night.

In your case, it might just have been an overnight arrangement: freeing of the rest of the family for something, say. Have you got the image? If not, the "London" could easily be a mistranscription for something else.

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Both the 1901 and 1911 census have her place of birth as Finsbury Park, which is in The Borough of Islington, which ties in with Islington being the area where she was registered according to BMD. As you say Wendy, I don't think this one will be solved without the certificate. Time to start saving - my list of certificate wants is growing!

Linda
                      Linda

Comment

Maybe Lilian's elder siblings in 1901 were poorly and the baby was shipped next door to be away from infection/let mum concentrate on the sick child/ren?

Sometimes we won't ever know why people are where they are on census night!
                        ~ with love from Little Nell~
                        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Well, I managed to suss some of it out - amazing what a nights sleep can do. Elizabeths sister Mary also married a Norgate, and they went up to London where they had 2 children by 1900. In 1901 they are down visiting Marys parents, but the baby is with Marys sister - therefore niece. In 1911 Mary and Harry Norgate seem to be living close to Elizabeth and Charles - maybe they brought up Lilin as they only had sons and wanted a daughter - I'll never know, but at least I worked out who her parents were!

Linda
                          Linda

Comment

Linda

I really can understand your excitement BUT I would still need to look at that birth cert to confirm it

From the latest image Mary and Harry had 7 children and 2 had died by the time of the latest census
                            WendyP

Comment

Yes, I realise that, but at least I can now give possible checking points. These are down on my to be confirmed list, they are a sideshoot to my tree, so in no particular rush. From your info Wendy, I have found two possibles for the 2 children who died, but those will definitely need certs. to find out their parents. Still it keeps me busy!

Thanks again

Linda
                              Linda

Comment

Working...
                              X