Favorites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorites

I am trying to copy my folder of Favorites to my external hard drive and having a few problems.
    When My Computer is open I click on the Favorites folder and drag it onto the external hard dirve. I get a message that says words like this: 'Are you happy to proceed without the PROPERTIES' only options Yes or Cancel.
    I drag the folder over and then I find it is full of blank pages (files).

I have tried to Export this Folder as well and get a similar result. I get the option to save as html (there is an option to save 'as all' but it does not want to work). My Documents just has a blank white page in it. I do not get the option to Export them to my External Hard Drive as it does not appear on the list.

When I click on this I get a different message that says: Which programme do I wish to associate this with.

I use IE/Vista. I am certain that I could do this before my last Windows Update.

Help please.
    Margaret N
    DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Hi Margaret,

On my IE8/Vista I do the following ...

Click "File(F)" on the IE toolbar.

Click "Import & Export(I)".

Select "File Export(E)".

Click <Next(N)> button.

Select "Favorites(A)".

Click <Next(N)> button.

All your favorites should be listed, some of them possibly under yellow folder icons.

Just click the <Next(N)> button.

In the field now shown type in the destination of where you want to save your favorite's file (file usually named bookmark.htm), or use the <Browse(R)> button to select the destination drive/folder.

When happy you know where you are saving to ...

Click the <Export(E)> button and that's about it.

Sorry if the translation is a little out, as you know my stuff isn't in English. You should be OK to follow the () letters though.

It should be pretty similar if you are using IE7.

Note: When you use browse (as mentioned above), there will be a list. If you can't find your external disk, look for where it says 'Computer' and expand that. You should then see your external disk listed.

Does the above help? Let us know how you get on.
    Last edited by Guest; 30-09-09, 03:23.

Comment

Hello John,
      I have copied this programme many times when I had XP and when I first had Vista. I had so much trouble with my PC after I downloaded Windows Updates that I switched it all off. One day last week I thought that after some nine months without updates I would install all the important ones and this is where I appeared to loose my Favorites or so I thought as the folder changed.
      I had carried out the instructions that you sent and only got the blank page. I have just had another go and the part that I was missing after ~ Export ~ was typing in 'D Drive'. I also had to click on the blank page and a message came up 'Open With' IE is recommended. Click and they all appeared in list form but they seem to work.
      So many thanks for making me have a go again.
      I think that your Japanese/English Vista is excellent.
      I have put this blank type page into a new folder called Favorites. Before this happened I used to get the whole folder with the yellow star on it etc. Anyway as long as I have saved them.
      Margaret N
      DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

I agree Margaret, as long as they've been saved then that's all that matters. :Big Grin:

When I export my favourties, I end up with a file called 'bookmark.htm'. If I then double click on this file (to open it) I can view all my favourites and even click on them to get to the relevant website. I also have no problem if I then want to import my favourites (using the 'bookmark.htm' file) into another IE on another computer.

Comment

Working...
        X