Who was Edward William Bick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who was Edward William Bick?

We have a member of the family who is long since dead, a Edward William Bick according to an inscription in a book my cousin has. His mother thinks he was a brother of Amy Bick, our great grandmothers siblings, but while I have been able to tie in Amy, Edward seems to be a bit of a mystery, Our great grandmother was born Helen Bick in about 1866 in Camberwell, Surrey. It would appear that their parents were a John and Sarah Bick, though some children were mothered by John's second wife Jane.

According to the records I have found:

John and Sarah Bick had:
    Charles Bick 1849 born Westoe, Somerset
    John Frederick Bick 1854 "
    George Bick 1855 "
    Jane Bick 1858 born Peckham, Surrey
    William C Bick 1863 born Camberwell, Surrey
    Helen Bick 1866 born Camberwell, Surrey

By Jane:
    Amy Mary Bick born 1877 West Humble, Surrey

Question is, William C Bick seems to appear in one census only, is this perhaps him or is there an Edward William Bick I haven't managed to find, or have the initials got transposed in that the C is an E and Edward was his proper name?

Your thoughts please.
    Last edited by LorraineJ; 29-09-09, 16:29.

Jane b 1858 Peckham may have been "Emma Jane", bap 29 Aug 1858 St Mary Magdalene, Peckham - assuming that John was "gardner".

She appears to have had a sister, Ann, baptised 9 Oct 1859

There may also have been Annie Eliza, b to the same parents, baptised 31 Aug 1856 in Hackney, when they lived at Hackney Downs.

A more unlikely candidate is Helen, baptised 4 Mar 1883 in Dulwich. That John was also a gardner (like all the rest) and they lived in Dorking.

Don't get any Hits for John/Jane as parents, sorry.

Christine
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 29-09-09, 17:09.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Just in case it turns out to be relevant there's this sad entry in Paddington's 1853 burial record:

The son of John Bick ~ North Street, St Marylebone ~ July 18th ~ 12 days (age)

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

2 girls to John and Sarah on LMA.
        Emma Jane Bick Bap 28 Aug 1858
        Ann Bick Bap 9 Oct 1859
        Both at St Mary Magdalene,Peckham.

Comment

If you are able to see the census image for 1871, alongside "Willm C Bick", his occupation is given as:
          Willm E Bick / Scholar
          It's worth remarking that people did swap around the way they used their given names (apart from the wholesale additions/deletions and other changes!).

I note that John was, indeed, a gardener.

Christine

Comment

I see that, in 1881 (in Mickleham, still) his wife's initial is "M"? Age 41, b Hampton, Kent.
            And there's a daughter "A M" aged 4, b Westhumble.

Christine
            Last edited by Christine in Herts; 29-09-09, 17:36.

Comment

Don't know which of these are your John, but there are some plausible marriage records...

Gloucester 1843q1 (Hannah COATES)
              Gloucester 1847q3 (Sarah ORGAN, presumably, out of the four)

There's a death in Dorking for a Sarah BICK, age 50, 1874q1.

There's a marriage in Camden in 1875 of John BICK, widower, to Mary HARRIS, spinster, both of full age. John is a gardener. His father is Aaron Bick (dec'd), carpenter.

In the IGI there's a submitted record for a baptism of a John BICK 19 Nov 1826, St Mary De Lode, Gloucester.
              Other (submitted) baptism records for the same parents' names in Gloucestershire:
              William: 14 APR 1816 Barnwood, Gloucester
              Aaron: 18 JAN 1818 St Mary De Lode, Gloucester
              Ann: 24 DEC 1820 St Mary De Lode, Gloucester
              Elizabeth: 24 APR 1831 St Aldate, Gloucester

I reckon that lot is worth following up.

Christine
              Parents: Aaron BICK & Sarah

Comment

In 1851, there's an Aaron BICK, widower, aged 69, carpenter, b Barnwood, living with the (John & Elizabeth) ORGAN family at London Rd, Gloucester.

There's a death registered in Gloucester for Aaron BICK in 1851q4.

In 1841, he's aged 55+, carpenter, living with James ORGAN, Innkeeper of the Black Dog Inn in Gloucester, and Elizabeth, his wife, plus their family.

Christine

Comment

Thanks for your research. I have somehow managed to lose access to My Heritage.com and therefore can't do any further work on it today. I know my great grandmother's mother was Sarah Organ and they came from Gloucestershire. I have been on the version on-line and looked and seen that I have tied Aaron into the tree too, but Mary's marriage to John seems to make much more sense than Jane's. I don't know for sure, but I think it very likely that somehow I have got the generations a little mixed up but this information has given me a lot more to go on. Thank you.

Comment

As I thought, I'd selected the wrong brother as parent to John Bick but still had the right family. Hadn't arrived at Mary Harris as his second wife though and Amy Mary fits in with family knowledge for their daughter. My aunt who is now 89, has found memories of Aunt Amy, as she lived with her in WW2.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Having put the effort in - and got intrigued to see how much I could find, it's nice to know it's been useful.

I take it, then, that "A M" (post #6) would be "Amy Mary".

Christine

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                        Thanks for the feedback. Having put the effort in - and got intrigued to see how much I could find, it's nice to know it's been useful.

I take it, then, that "A M" (post #6) would be "Amy Mary".

Christine
                        Yes Christine, your assumption is spot on. Thanks once again.

Comment

Working...
                        X