opinions on date & age please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• opinions on date & age please

I haven't really researched the person in this photo until now as I thought it was a family friend rather than a relative. But I've just discovered that this lady, Alice Rowson, probably is related after all. So I'm trying to confirm (insofar as possible) that she is who I think she is. Here she is on the 1861 census for reference: - Ancestry.co.uk

The person who it "should" be was born c1845 in Liverpool. But I'm not sure whether that ties in with the date of the photo and the age of the subject.

Looking at Liverpool Photographers and Vandyke & Brown , Photographers, I've found that the photographers Van Dyke & Brown were operating at the addresses shown on the back of the photo in 1871 & 1875. So that would make her around 26-30 in this photo.

I would love to know others' opinions on her age, and also on the date of the photograph based on her clothes & hairstyle.

Thanks! :smilee:

Last edited by Cloggie; 29-09-09, 11:21.
    Sarah

I would say looking at her hairstyle, and the style of the dress we can see at her neck that she dates from the late 1880s......:Wink:

Comment

Thanks Barbara. Only problem with that is that it doesn't tie in with the photographers' names & addresses. By 1878, Brown was operating at the same addresses under the name Brown, Barnes & Bell, while VanDyke was operating at 62 Bold Street: 1878 Gores Directory
      I guess the photo could have been printed on old stock, but wouldn't 10 years later seem a bit much?
      Last edited by Cloggie; 29-09-09, 12:07.
      Sarah

Comment

Sarah it should say late 1870s, I can only apologise, I could blame it on the fact I spilt lucozade on the keyboard, but I think I'm just going mad......:emb:
        If you look at wikipedia fashions for 1870 and scroll down to the pictures for the late 1870s you'll see what I think are similar fashions.....

Comment

Ooh, well, late 1870s is a completely different story... then she probably is who I think she is!
          Thanks Barbara, and be careful with that lucozade. ;)
          Sarah

Comment

I had a go at Tidying a little ...

Original

Cloggie001.jpg Cloggie004.jpg

Comment

Thanks John! That's much clearer and the vignette effect looks great! :smilee:
              Sarah

Comment

Working...
              X