The importance of getting certificates for verification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The importance of getting certificates for verification

My cousin has recently got in touch with me and my Mum having lost touch for about 40 years. He is also doing his and our family tree and when it comes to our great grandparents, he is way off, ie difference people, born in different parts of the North. I would be worried about my research if it wasn't for the fact that I have bought certificates, which in most cases have proven I was on the right track.

I think my cousin had what his mother gave him as a starting point and its full of inaccuracies. What I find rather disturbing is that another recent ancestor paid to have a family tree done and yet its full of errors.

Guess work can be a trap someone new to geneology could fall into, but its a sure fire way if you are not careful of going off on a wild goose chase.

Hope your cousin will be open to a little gentle re-direction.

Comment

I know exactly what you mean. My OH's cousin has gone wrong with their grandfather. There were two born with the same name in a space of about six months, first one in Stepney and the other up north somewhere. Now on the death certificate for the person it says that he was born in Stepney but the cousin has decided that the other was the correct one. I tried to explain how I came about with the one I had but he wouldn't hear of it and insisted that I was wrong. Also he advised me that I was wasting my money getting certificates that I didn't need.

Linda
      LindaG

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
        Hope your cousin will be open to a little gentle re-direction.
        I am pleased to say that I have revisited his tree again and taken my hints at where he has gone wrong. I didn't think he was the type to get all prima donnaish over making a mistake.

Comment

I have to agree! I'm really new to all this research but on ancestry I got a hint relating to my grandfather. As my dad is still alive and kicking I have a really good link to my dad's aunts and uncles and having checked and double checked records I am very confident that the people I have on my tree are my relatives. I checked the hint icon and yes the tree owner has my grandad but not one of the siblings on the other persons tree matches! I've not had chance to contact the other tree owner yet and tbh don't really know how to approach them but that's a whole new thread lol

Di

Comment

Yes I have tackfully pointed out to some on Ancestry that they have the wrong relative,as I have the certificates, but they dont change it or ignore me.I dont bother anymore, just sit and stew about it !!!!!!
            regards Patti

*******always searching*********
            for Bracey.Speck.Gusterson.Taylor.Livermore.

Comment

I also have found this problem relating to my Grandmother. I have tried tactfully to point it out. Obviously it is a case of follow the leader on the relatives trees There are more than 10 wrong. Most are just wrong county and town. Some 50 years out on death. Some are just choosing any country with the wrong town name (all the same wrong one). I have the certificates, but can do no more to help. Such a shame. I did get annoyed though when they questioned who I was.
              I have the problem of people adding my relatives in the right town and wrong country on more than one tree. When I first started off and did not know where to look I spent many a long hour just trying to get on the right track.

Comment

Yes its so annoying, I had someone give my Gt Grandad a wife from somewhere else,then had them living in the wrong place of course and it went on and on, but did they change it No,how stupid.
                regards Patti

*******always searching*********
                for Bracey.Speck.Gusterson.Taylor.Livermore.

Comment

This problem/complaint is ongoing and ignored or challenged if an effort is made to correct errors by contacting tree owners. Best to ignore rather than get upset over other people's pig-headedness !

Comment

I think I would contact them once but if they didn't accept my certificated version I would let them wallow in their own mistakes! They can't be really serious about family history if they can bear not to at least check it out!

Anne

Comment

It's my opinion that many errors are caused by the drop-down menus which try to forecast what you want to enter. Very easy for the wrong one to slip in unnoticed.

Comment

There are several trees on GR that have been copied from mine, with two (speculative) mistakes I made early on, before I had obtained the right certificates. Anyone who wants to know anything about any of my rellies on those trees will have to be put in touch with me eventually, because it seems that none of the others have followed up or checked out my information. One certificate will put all of them right. I have corrected my own tree, but not bothered with the others. I know they are wrong, and any serious researcher will be able to sort it out.
                        Diane
                        Sydney Australia
                        Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

I spoke to my cousin earlier this afternoon and he is of the opinion provided you get it right, it doesn't matter who does the leading.

Comment

I have one at the moment - my third or fourth cousin. I have got certificates to prove that my tree is right, but he is still insisting that my great grandfather married another woman - not only that, he is also telling other people he is right - even though I have the correct certificates !!

Because of this, one person changed the census details on Ancestry (Oh I hate that invention !!) - after I supplied certificate details though, Ancestry changed it back !!

Comment

Originally posted by champagnegal View Post
                              ... one person changed the census details on Ancestry (Oh I hate that invention !!) - after I supplied certificate details though, Ancestry changed it back !!
                              Don't hate it too much! Sometimes the transcriptions are really silly, and would make it very difficult for others to find.

I sometimes find errors when I'm looking for one of my own tree-names: I can see that anyone looking for the real names won't stand much chance, so I put in corrections. I have in mind not only small errors with big effects ( e.g. L/S mistakes at the start of a name), but where a whole family has been given the surname of the family above, say.

Christine
                              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

It can be even more annoying when you have granted access to your tree and they get it wrong. Blackberry is right - I can see how it happened - Ancestry has assumed a relationship that aint so!! I have left a message, but had no response - hey ho - some care, some don't! It is just that one feels a bit - well - responsible for the ancestors!!

Comment

Working...
                                X