Which family tree software?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which family tree software?

Hi all! My birthday is coming up soon and my dad has asked me what I would like. I have decided I would like family tree software, where it prints everything like a tree and displays all the information etc. I have seen a few mentioned and wondered what you would advise to be the best?
    I do need to know by Tuesday evening to let him know.
    Thanks very much
    Tessie

Hi Tessie
    I have looked at several lately to see if I want to change from Personal Ancestry File. It depends on what you want to get out of it, which one you buy. Lots of people seem to use Family Tree Maker, but I decided IF I buy something else it will probably be Family Historian. The main reason is I can input all the information, including census data, notes in one screen and print out (or put on screen) each person's data to see what I have missed. I can probably do it in other programmes, but I like FH's layout.

I want to re-enter my whole database to check dates and what info I am missing for each person, so will not just load a gedcom file, so I want to be sure I really like the new software.

You can do free downloads and trials of most programmes to see what they are like. That is what I did.

Di
    Last edited by dicole; 28-09-09, 22:13. Reason: info
    Diane
    Sydney Australia
    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Tessie Di is right try few out , Legacy is also one that does a free download but you cannoth do lots things in free one but will give you feel of what FTM is like ,,Legacy for me is more geared to America ,,I downloaded the free trial of FH and couldnt get on with it after using Family tree maker for years and still like 2006 version the best even thought I have had 2008 2009 also ;;
      borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

There was a poll taken on here a while ago. Although it wasn't in the list of preferred software, I seem to remember that Family Historian was very popular. Here's the link:

I still use PAF as I find it adequate at the moment.
        Jenny

Comment

I use FTM now but previously used PAF, which is free form the family search site.

If you haven't used any software before try the free PAF and maybe get your Dad to pay for some certs or an ancestry sub. PAF will printout your tree and do reports etc.
          Kit

Comment

Working...
          X