Huguenot help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huguenot help please

My friend has already had a look in the Hospital records without any luck but I wondered if anyone had any resources to hand that might help with this lot.

My ancestor is Benjamin Cannell (several variants). He married firstly Ann (c1725-1760) and the first child I have is Mary bapt 1749 St Leonard Shoreditch and there were four others. Benjamin then married Mary Sodo in 1761 in Bethnal Green and had a further nine children.

Two of Benjamin's sons were called Jerom and another Josiah which makes it likely Benjamin is the one baptised 12th December 1725 at St Dunstan Stepney, son of Jeremiah (Jerom), weaver and Sarah. They also had two sons Josiah and Palmer and a daughter Martha.

In turn Jerom could be the one baptised 1703 Stepney son of Benjamin and Sarah and this Benjamin may be the one baptised at the Walloon Church Canterbury in 1674.

Lots of possibilities but what I would really like is to find the marriages of Benjamin and Ann in the late 1740s and of Jerom and Sarah. Most of the relevant parishes are covered on the IGI and I have tried Cannell, Connell, Caunel and Curnell without success and also the marriages at St Leonard Shoreditch.

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Asa

Although Benjamin's marriage to Mary Sodo is on the LMA records online I can't find either of the ones you are looking for. Sorry!
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Hello Nell:-) Thanks for having a look anyway
      Asa

Comment

Asa

Only Marriage I could find was at the Artillery Spitalfields but it is a bit before the time your looking for, between a Benjamin Canel and an Anne Suzanne Malfuson on 26 Dec 1709.

A Benjamin Cannel, born in London, was recieved as a full member, of Threadneedle Street, aged 16, on 27 Sept 1727. He was also baptised there to his father Isaac in Oct 1702.

Isaac officially Joined the church the same year in the Jan of 1702 (1703 modern calender) with his wife Marie, with a testimonial from the Huguenot church in Canterbury. The same day a Benjamin and Sarah Cannel also joined the church alonside them, in their case having a testimonial from the Huguenot Church in Dublin. He stood as godfather to the baby Benjamin so is presumably a brother?

Comment

Hello Richard - that's very interesting thank you - I think the Benjamin Canel who married Anne Suzanne Malfuson is the widower of the Sarah by whom he had Jerom in 1703, if that's not too rambling to understand.

I have found claims that this Benjamin and Sarah (de Cassel) married in 1696 in Dublin and that he was the son of Abraham of the Walloon Church in Canterbury. Isaac is thought to be Abraham's son as well but his baptism doesn't appear in the records.

It looks likely that my Jerom belongs to this lot but I'll be happier when I have tracked down the marriages.

Have I read that wrong, that Benjamin son of Isaac was aged 16 in 1727? That wouldn't be the son baptised at Threadneedle Street in 1702?
          Asa

Comment

Hello Asa

Unfortunately I only have the London discs, even though some of my ancestors were also in Ireland same time as your Cannells (they got around eh!), not yet looked into that branch in great detail yet. I do believe the society sells a CD Rom with the registers for some Irish churches though, and definently do for the Canterbury Church, if you've not already gone through them.

It does state Benjamin Canel was 16 at the time of his 'Temoignage' in 1727 but I imagine it is the same Benjamin and they are just being a bit hap hazard with his exact age. You could become a full member from age of 14 upwards in any case so accuracy may not have been viewed as that important.

Comment

Rcihard, thank you very much for your help again:-) I access the Canterbury records at the Guildhall or LMA so will have a good rummage next time I'm able to get there - thank you.
              Asa

Comment

No problem Asa, good luck!

Comment

*waving to Asa, hope to see you again, probably at the LMA!*
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I have managed to find a burial for Jerom Cannell at St Dunstan Stepney in 1736 aged 35, weaver of Bethnal Green so I am fairly happy now that he was the son of Benjamin and Sarah :-)

Richard, can I ask if there are any details with the marriage of Benjamin and Anne Suzanne Malfuson? It looks very likely that he is Jerom's widowed father and the Malfusons were already connected by marriage.
                    Asa

Comment

Working...
                    X