Help please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please.

I'm not very computer savvy and don't know where to start to learn....

so thought I'd start here....lol

When you go to "task manager" for instance......how do you know what is supposed to be there and what isn't??

Is there a good website for these sorts of questions??

I've noticed a few forums, but there are several opinions over the same question.

My daughter got that Alpha Anti-Virus bug and couldn't get rid of it. I tried googling and got so much gobbly gook, I couldn't make head or tail.

I did get rid of it (I think) but then there was a program called Search Guard stopping her from uninstalling anything or even sending things to the recycle. I thought that might be important but by googling found out that was a problem as well.

I think we got it sorted by trial and error. Now all I need to fix is that she can't send emails...she can receive them..

Sorry for the lengthy question. I really just want to know of a reputable site for getting good advice.

Thanks.

If she's using Outlook or Thunderbird, etc to send email then it may be that her SMTP settings are incorrect for her email provider.

Comment

I think that's what is wrong, John. But where do you find how to fix it???

She has Office which cam with a three month trial of Microsoft Outlook so it was set up there. Then she was told she'd have to buy the program, but she has Vista (it's a new computer) and I found she has Windows Mail with Vista. We tried to set it up but can't.

Her internet provider say they can't use Windows Mail and she has to have Microsoft Outlook. I can't work that out. She has just been made redundant and has Aspergers so I'm on this end of the phone (200 miles away) trying to help.......lol

Talk about the blind leading the blind............lol

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
        I think that's what is wrong, John. But where do you find how to fix it???

She has Office which cam with a three month trial of Microsoft Outlook so it was set up there. Then she was told she'd have to buy the program, but she has Vista (it's a new computer) and I found she has Windows Mail with Vista. We tried to set it up but can't.

Her internet provider say they can't use Windows Mail and she has to have Microsoft Outlook. I can't work that out. She has just been made redundant and has Aspergers so I'm on this end of the phone (200 miles away) trying to help.......lol

Talk about the blind leading the blind............lol
        If her trial of Microsoft Outlook has run out then that may be why she can't send email.

If her internet provider says that Windows Mail can't be used then not much you can do there. I never bothered with Windows Mail myself.

If she is being pushed in the direction of buying Outlook and doesn't want to then I would suggest that she trys something like Thunderbird. It's pretty much the same as Outlook but FREE.

Here's a link to the Thunderbird thread I started back in 2007 if you are interested. It's a little old but not much has changed.

http://www.familytreeforum.com/computer-help/35800-how-install-mozilla-thunderbird-email-client.html

Be aware that with some email providers you can't use email clients like Outlook or Thunderbird.

Which email provider does she use? The POP3 and SMTP settings she requires are different depending on who her email provider is.

Comment

Thanks John.

I think her Windows Mail is just not set up properly.

Her Outlook has expired but she can still receive.???

Other daughter is going to try to sort it tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
            Thanks John.

I think her Windows Mail is just not set up properly.

Her Outlook has expired but she can still receive.???

Other daughter is going to try to sort it tomorrow.
            Here's a link to another thread I started back in 2007 for Configuring Windows Mail to use with Gmail email accounts, which may or may not help. It all depends on who her email provider is.

http://www.familytreeforum.com/computer-help/30333-configuring-windows-mail-use-your-gmail-email-accounts.html

Receiving and Sending have different options, it is quite possible she can receive but not send if something has expired or if an option setting is incorrect.

Comment

Thanks John.

Are there any good websites you can give me for general computer tutorial type thingys.

I go to Microsoft but they are really just for their own programs (funny that...lol)

What are you doing up??????????????? I thought you were earlier than us??

Comment

Libby, I've often found useful bits & pieces if I google the problem.
                It means having to wade through various forums etc and a lot of guff but depending on how specifically one words the google it can prove very useful. I've managed to sort many problems that way including recovering deleted photos!

If your daughter is with BigPond, Optus or any of the main ISPs they should be able to talk her through setting up the mail. I do know BigPond has cut out one of the mail programs but not sure which one.
                Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                X