Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Never had to do this before so am I......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never had to do this before so am I......

right to go through with it?:conf:

Since discovering that my grandfather was conceived outside of his mother's marriage.....making her husband no blood relation, should I eliminate his whole family from my tree?

I've accepted that this quarter of my decendency is wiped out in reality and will never be known, so I suppose it's just because they have all been perched on the tree for so long, I feel bad about getting out my axe! :Big Grin:
    Jen

Researching: Brandon.London/M/cr. Tyson.France/Mcr.

If he was brought up by his mother's husband, I personally wouldn't eliminate all those relatives, because that's the environment that made him what he grew up to be. You could always add another partner for his mother so that he shows on the tree as son of mother and Unknown, but leave the stepfather and his ancestors on the tree.

I suspect this may be the case with one quarter of my family too, but I doubt if I shall ever find out the truth.

Comment

Hm...hadn't actually thought of doing that Mary, something to consider.
      Thing is, her husband left her and took their daughter with him. He later remarried bigamously, so great gran was always officially married to him and she began calling herself a widow. Grandfather had her husbands name because she was still married to him I suppose.

Even so, I will put father unknown on tree for him, it will save me deleting all those names.:smilee:
      Jen

Comment

And are you absolutely positive he wasn't the father?

I agree with Mary, I'd leave them in my tree but add father unknown for your grandfather.

OC

Comment

Yes OC, his birth cert has no fathers name.
          Jen

Comment

Originally posted by Jen~Ealogy View Post
            Yes OC, his birth cert has no fathers name.

I wouldn't say for certain this means he wasn't the father.
            It seems daft in this day & age but my Aunt was so angry at her husband for betraying her that she didn't put his name on my cousins BC. Makes it look as though she was the guilty party but he had committed bigamy.
            Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

Jen

Do you mean she was married when she gave birth, to a child who was not her husband's?

OC

Comment

Yes but, I'm sure that he had all ready left before the birth....he was born in the workhouse.

I think possibly blame may have lain on both sides. They were married for 8 yrs before they had their daughter.
                I think he was working away from home, up country for his work as a ship plater & boiler maker. She, obviously stayed where her work was cotton spinning.

He was lodging with the woman he later bigamously married.

He selfishly took his daughter with him, which must have left her very lonely & bitter, hence her getting pregnant by someone else.
                Jen

Comment

Bearing in mind that the Workhouse was often the only place with free medical facilities, there just MAY be something in the admittance books if you can track down the workhouse records.

OC

Comment

And was the birth registered by the Master, or under his direction?

He may not have been in possession of the true facts, only what he assumed or had been told.

Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Jen

was your grandfather baptised?? their might be notes like 'supposed father'....
                      Julie
                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Workhouse record....hadn't thought about that OC, another avenue to explore.
                        Janet his birth cert was signed by the Master of the workhouse yes.
                        Have never had any info or been aware of a baptism for my grandfather Julie no. And quite honestly wouldn't know where to begin looking.

On the 1881 census ggrandmother's husband was Lodging in Co Durham and working as a boiler maker (grandfather was born in 1883) In 1891 He was lodging in Stockton on Tees with their then, 13 yr old daughter, and the woman he had bigamously married earlier that year......so he was stating that he and his daughter were mere lodgers nothing more, because he didn't want to get found out obviously.

I wouldn't be surprised if grandfather had actually ever clapped eyes on the man he may have thought was his father.
                        Jen

Comment

Jen,

I remember when I was looking for my Robinson baptisms I found their baptisms in Parish Registers for Melton Mowbray, (at Leicester Records Office).

perhaps it might be worthwhile looking into the Pr's of churches near to the workhouse where he was born?

does the IGI have a bapt for him?
                          Julie

Comment

Some good pointers there Julie Thankyou. I will look on IGI now, it may be worthwhile as you say to look at parishes in the workhouse district.
                            Jen

Comment

no probs... I even had the double bonus when I actually found the entry the lovely vicar had entered (in the margin) that two of the sisters were twins! I was very happy... :smilee:

otherwise I wouldn't have known, yes they were bapt on the same day, but that isnt uncommon to have mutliple children bapt from the same family on the same day as a job lot...lol.
                              Julie

Comment

Thats right Julie, had some of those myself.........well, there is nothing listed on IGI for him and wouldn't you know it......Lan-opc is still down, so the search for a baptism will have to hang fire!
                                I did discover something interesting from there (lan-opc) which confirmed my theory about the workhouse where he was born.
                                It was on the same land which is now occupied by North Manchester Hosptial, which probably still incorporates the original building. And my mum (grandfather's daughter) also died there as well as my dad........
                                Jen

Comment

Jen, you can search Lan-OPC by putting the person's name into google followed by:

site:lan-opc.org.uk

Comment

oooh thats good then,

but most workhouses did become hospitals, I know that Nottingham (Bagthorpe, as it was named) workhouse actually morphed into Nottingham City Hospital, there are still some buildings from the workhouse still there, though now sadly, being replaced with newer, better buldings.

and re the Lan-opc thing, didnt someone say that you could get in the back door? by using cached pages?
                                    Julie

Comment

I'll give that a go Julie thanks.......not sure about the cached pages Julie, something I've never heard of before....
                                      Jen

Comment

i wouldnt be surprised if the master of the workhouse didnt remember the fathers name, and left it blank in case he made a mistake, or he assumed because she was in the workhouse that the child was illegitimate.

Comment

Working...
                                        X