Arundel church query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arundel church query

I went in Arundel church yesterday and wondered what the thing would be on the middle of the altar, about 14 inches high, 10 inches wide but draped in a white cloth so it couldn't be seen. Whatever it was had a domed top.

This is an interesting question.

Did you know that the church in Arundel is divided into two parts?
    One side, the Fitzalan Chapel, is used by the Roman Catholics - the family of the Duke of Norfolk (who owns Arundel Castle) is Roman Catholic.
    The other side is St. Nicholas's Church, the Anglican parish church of Arundel.

I am guessing that the item you saw was in the Fitzalan Chapel and my husband says it is a Tabernacle - a place where the blessed sacrament is kept. You might find one in an Anglican church but in this case the RC chapel is more likely.

Husband can supply more details if required (he is an Anglican priest!).

Shirley

Comment

Thankyou Shirley, I knew someone would know:smilee:

I knew about the unique way the church is divided, I've visited both sides of the church before as some of my ancestors were from Arundel, but this was my first proper look in the C of E side with a camera. The tabernacle was on the C of E altar. Unfortunately the photo is too blurred to use in the Places of Worship talk pages for Arundel but here it is anyway.

St Nicholas would be Anglican high church then?

The grille behind is the RC Fitzalan chapel, you have to pay to go into the castle to get inside, but at last they now open the castle on Saturdays,
      Last edited by Jill on the A272; 27-09-09, 21:54. Reason: Fitzalan chapel

Comment

Yup! That's a tabernacle and the church appears to be 'high' - not so unusual though.

The church at Tichborne in Hampshire also has a separate RC chapel in the North Aisle. An article about the church mentions that it is one of only three such arrangements in the country - I wonder which is the third one?

Comment

I don't know about the third but at St Leonards, Turners Hill in the late 60s early 70s the Rev RG Harvey (my vicar at the time) was able to arrange for the local RC community who at the time had no church to use our church with their own portable altar, services conducted by monks from Worth Abbey school. They now have a fine modern church at Worth Abbey.

Comment

Kirkby Stephen Parish Church in Cumbria is also used by the Church of England and the RCs. I've not noticed any difference though - if I go there it is only to ring bells!

Anne

Comment

Sharing a church by Anglicans and RCs is not unusual nowadays.
              The interesting thing about Arundel and Tichborne is that there are separate areas 'fenced off' from each other under the same roof, and the original church building has been so divided for several hundred years.

Comment

When I went there for the first time in June, I thought the notice about when and why the gate was opened was quite amusing. Some for joint ceremonies, but once for Prince Charles - presumably so that he didn't have to walk all round the town!!
                Caroline
                Caroline's Family History Pages
                Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                  When I went there for the first time in June, I thought the notice about when and why the gate was opened was quite amusing. Some for joint ceremonies, but once for Prince Charles - presumably so that he didn't have to walk all round the town!!
                  Or pay to get in via the castle ;)
                  My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

He needs every penny he can get, he had to make his florist redundant

Comment

Working...
                    X