Irish spelling of surname

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish spelling of surname

Hi, I'm hoping there is an Irish language buff on here. How would the surname McGeough be written in Irish? I am trying to locate the family on the 1911 Irish census. I know the townland and have browsed through it but, unfortunately for me, that area is recorded in Irish. I know the place is correct as the family still own land there. It is Drumcarrow, Co Monaghan. I would be so grateful for any help because without it I'm snookered.

'The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.' Bertrand Russel.

Hiya
    Did you google ?
    I found this

magoo.com: Origins of the Surname McGough by Hugh McGough

might be useful
    ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Monaghan is part of the old kingdom of Ulster, even though it's now in the south, so I would suggest looking on Ulster Ancestry

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm off to try them.

Comment

Thank you so much, I have managed to identify them on the 1911 Irish census and saved the information. I have a dictionary that I can use to translate relationships etc.

Comment

Yell if you get stuck and I'll ring my sister.................just have to take the time difference into account.

Comment

Thanks Libby, that is a very generous offer.

Comment

Working...
              X