Which Mark Marshall is mine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Mark Marshall is mine

I recently paid for some research to be done as I was at a standstill in researching my Marshall side of the tree.

This is where I am at.

I know my great great Grandfather was Thomas Wilkinson Marshall christened January 1813 in Hemingby Lincolnshire

He was the illegitmate child of Margaret Marshall ....she was born in Hemingby January 1786 and died in Hemingby in August 1828...she never married nor had any more children.

Margaret was the child of Mark Marshall and Sarah Blades..they married 16-12-1783 and were both of age...I have a copy of this certificate....Mark was a widow and Sarah a spinster.....witnesses Edmund Sharp and William Marshall

Mark Marshall had been married before to Adversity Brown....21-5-1765 in Baumber Linconshire.......witnesses were William and Elizabeth Marshall....and Adversity died 10-3-1783 in Hemingby Lincolnshire....no children found to this marriage yet.....I have a copy of this certificate.

Now which Mark is it I am after....there are so many of them and I can't fit which one it could be...opinions are very welcome.

When you say there are a lot of Mark Marshalls - where is it that you are finding them - Ancestry? If he first married in 1765 he has probably died by 1841. I would have thought you would need to go through the Parish Records for Lincolnshire to find a death. Or is that where there are a lot of them popping up?

Comment

Sorry...I should have be more specific...they are popping up on trees on ancestry....and I have tried to fit in ones off family search.

My researcher was unable to conclusively find a death for this particular Mark Marshall.

I am about to hire her again to search for Mark Marshall and Sarah Blades parents....but thought I would give here a try first.

Comment

well Ancestry trees will only contain people who ancestry members have researched, they may or may not have researched thoroughly and your Mark may not appear in any of their trees. Equally the IGI (on family Search) only contains entries from parish registers which have been transcribed or entries submitted my people who may or may not have the correct facts. Your Mark may have been baptised in a parish not transcribed, or have been non conformist and so not baptised.
        As Mark's first marriage was in 1765 I'd be looking for a baptism around 1740-1745 but then widening the possibilities, and as other events ere in Hemingby that's where i'd start looking, and if no luck widen the seach to neighbouring parishes or nearby market towns, and places along local roads.All this is best done at the county record office but if not possible then check the coverage of the IGI to make sure it covers the places you want, or see if you can order in parish registers on microfilm at your nearest LDS Family History centre, or if you can get to London see what registers the library of the Society of genealogists has.
        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I live in Tasmania so I wont be able to look myself which is why I am having to hire a researcher.

There is a mark Marshall born in 1738 that I though may have been a possability.....but some on ancestry have him married to a women they call Mary Widow Marshall....and some have him married to Barnardsiton Reading.

There also is one on LIncolnshire and fenland families born in 175o where the naming pattern fits....but it would have made him only abt 15 at first marriage....so I ruled that one out too.

Comment

The marriages to Sarah Blades and Adversity are both on freereg, burial of Adversity (mistranscribed forename) and several baptisms also appear on freereg for Hemingsby and Baumber where the child and/or father is called Mark.

Several burials for Mark Marshall but as you say it could be one of several.

The coverage page for freereg indicate Hemingby to be pretty much complete for baptism, marriage and death records for thetimeframe you are looking at.

Just as a side issue i wonder if this is possibly William the witness?

Baptism;
            Hemingby St Margaret
            29 Jan 1741
            William, son of Mark and Mary.
            Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 27-09-09, 10:08.
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
            My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
            My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

I am not sure about the connection to William.....my researcher did mention the following.

"There is another marriage on 7th May 1799 between William Marshall (batchelor) and Ann Marshall (spinster)...Both made x marks....The witnesses were Mark Marshall and Joshua Johnson....Mark's signature is very similar to that on the 1783 certificates of Mark Marshall and Sarah Blades."

Comment

Working...
              X