Rookwood Anglican Cemetery online

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rookwood Anglican Cemetery online

I discovered yesterday Rookwood Anglican Cemetery records are now online.

You have to register, they send you a confirmation email and then you log-on.

The records are free but it is still in the trial phase. I'm not sure they will remain free.

You can only search for a particular person, not for everyone of a surname. The results give the date of death and a grave area - ie section 3 but not a grave number ie row 3 number 442. So it is not easy to identify others in the grave.

But the details are better than nothing.
    Kit

Oh Kit, now I will spend all afternoon checking out my rellies !! It's a great step forward for Rookwood, Anglican, probably the biggest section is the last to go on-line.

The Rookwood Independent Section has been on-line for a while and its still free. So here's hoping the Anglicans stay that way.

If anyone finds someone and wants a photo, just let me know, its only 10 mins to drive there from here.

Di

Di
    Diane
    Sydney Australia
    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Thanks for that Kit.:smilee:
      I have a couple to hunt for in that section so will go and register.

Di, thanks for the offer - I may take you up on that.

Comment

Tha Catholic section has been online for a while.............which was interesting..........as I found my great grandfather's first wife there. She was Jewish!!!!! lol

Comment

I think the Jewish section is also online but don't have any Jewish so I can't say for sure.
          Kit

Comment

Yes, Kit, the Jewish section is online............that's where I looked for my girl first....lol

I did get the death cert when I couldn't find her as I was told she was at Rookwood.
            There in black and white on the death cert is the burial at Rookwood Catholic section.

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
              Yes, Kit, the Jewish section is online............that's where I looked for my girl first....lol

I did get the death cert when I couldn't find her as I was told she was at Rookwood.
              There in black and white on the death cert is the burial at Rookwood Catholic section.
              Hi - if you ever do come across a Jewish name, this is a really good site.
              Covers over 40,000 names in Australia and New Zealand plus war graves -
              BD-BD Jewish Burial Data for Australasia

Comment

Ooh, brilliant, Kit, off to look. I have loads of people buried there. Thanks very much for posting the info.

Comment

This is the link, in case anyone hasn't found it.

Grave Search

I'll add it to the Wiki.

Comment

Thanks Mary. i don't know how to do that.
                    Kit

Comment

Just a word of warning for anyone who hasn't noticed: the date they're giving as the date of death is actually the date of burial (I've checked with some of the certs I have).

Also the data don't seem to be 100% accurate; I have one child who was buried there according to his death cert, but he isn't showing up on the search.

Comment

I've added the four main cemetery sites to the Wiki: the Rookwood C of E and independent sections, the Catholic cemeteries site and the Australian Jewish burials site.

It looks as though they will be charging eventually; if you click on "my membership" it says the site's free during beta testing, and there's a tab for invoices.

I was intending to e-mail them to suggest that they replace "date of death" with "date of burial" in the search results, but oddly there doesn't seem to be a contact e-mail address on the site, so they aren't going to get much feedback from the beta testing.

Comment

Wonder how long the testing period is for?
                          Kit

Comment

Just realised that there is a grave number as well as a section number. So it is easier to find a grave that I thought.
                            Kit

Comment

Found one of mine but not the other so perhaps I'd better try a few variations on the surname.
                              There is a grave number but nothing for row or plot so it could take some time to locate it.

I wonder if they have maps available at Rookwood cemetery. It's so large that one could spend hours just finding a section.
                              When I went looking for graves at Eastern Suburbs Memorial Park (the old Botany cemetery) a few years ago I found grave nos and row locations on line then was able to get a map from the office there which made it very easy to locate them.

Comment

Kate they do have maps if you go to the office, for anglican, independant and catholic anyway. Finding the section isn't too bad but the actual grave can take a while.

I found this on the website. They have identified a few errors:
                                Please note: We have already identified two issues which we are working on:

1. 'Name' field - successful search results will require entry of the exact firstname and middle name (or initial)
                                (eg. If you are looking for John Robert Smith - in the 'Name' field search "John", "John R" or "John Robert")
                                2. Date order - results are not currently being displayed in order of Date of Death
                                It took me a while to find someone I knew was there so I played around with the name. It was John M Smith not John Middlename Smith. I can't find his wife who is buried next to him though.

I wish they would just let you search by surname.
                                Kit

Comment

*happily buries some Irish second cousins in the Catholic cemetery at Rookwood*

Thanks for that Toni....you have successfully diverted me from a bedmaking/ washing session. ;)

Beverley

Comment

Glad to hear it, Bev.

Sadly I did all my washing this morning. Couldn't waste the wind we had.
                                    Kit

Comment

So far I have only found those I know were buried at Rookwood Anglican, no new ones yet. The grave sections and numbers correspond to those I have from the cemetery office, thank goodness. But some of the old Anglican sections are/were overgrown and finding the exact grave could be difficult (especially if there is no headstone) The grave numbers are on the footstone of some graves, so you have to go along counting and backtracking at bit.

The Catholic Section has an interactive computer terminal outside the office and you can look on the map there to see where to go, made it quite easy to find a grave. Have not been to the Anglican section for a while, so maybe they now have the same. When you used to go to the office and ask for the grave location, the ladies would mark it on a map for you.

The cemetery is VAST, and some parts are overgrown, the headstones fallen down or obscured by vegetation. But I love going there.
                                      Diane
                                      Sydney Australia
                                      Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

I'm a bit lost with this. I've been and registered on the link above and got my free account. I searched for Ethel Murray and found nothing yet when I searched with a link from another thread that comes up with a mapping page, I got 2 entries for Ethel with date of burial and grave numbers.

What's the difference between the link in this thread and this one from the other thread?
                                        Rookwood Independent Cemetery Mapping

Comment

Working...
                                        X