Donner family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donner family

I'm trying to find the parents names of James and John William Donner.
    James was born in 1881 in Barton Lincolnshire
    John William was born in 1883 in Grimsby Lincolnshire

Also, could there be other siblings of these 2 ?

On the 1891 census there's an 8 year old John Donner living at Worsborough, Yorkshire, he's born at Hull. But he does have a brother James born Barton aged 14. Their father is James aged 38 born Louth, Lincs.

What's you source for the information you have.
    Jay

Comment

Also on the 1891 census Benjamin Edmonds is living as a lodger with Caroline Donner

- Ancestry.co.uk
      Hail Spode!

Comment

1881 Caroline O Donner and James O Donner with son James aged 4 (I know, different birth date)

Enable Cookies - Ancestry.co.uk
        Hail Spode!

Comment

James Donner, reg Mar Q 1877, Glanford Brigg Reg District.
          John William Donner, reg Jun Q 1883, Caistor Reg District.

James Donner m Caroline Borrill, Sep Q 1875, Glanford Brigg Reg District.

So James age 4 in 1881 is probably correct.

1891 census also has Charles age 12, and George age 5 living with James, James and John.

Was the 1901 census your source ?
          Last edited by dicole; 27-09-09, 01:56.
          Diane
          Sydney Australia
          Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Charles Henry O Donner is also with James, Caroline and James in 1881. Reg Dec Q 1878, Louth Reg District.

Jessie May Donner was reg in Sculcoates Mar Q 1892 (with Benjamin and Caroline Edmonds in 1891 as Jessie M Edmonds)

In 1901 George Donner is with James Donner and Sarah Donner (Sarah Barker in 1891, living as housekeeper with James and sons, and her children who are with the Donners in 1891 !).

Looks like James and Caroline went their separate ways by 1891.
            Last edited by dicole; 27-09-09, 02:18.
            Diane
            Sydney Australia

Comment

JayG...The birthdates that i've got for John William and James are both right. so it can't be the same 2 that you've found.
              guybrush...The surname is Donner not O Donner
              dicole...James was born in 1881, there was only 2 years difference between James and John William.
              I get more confused by the day with all this (ha ha). The info that i've already got was found on Ancestry.com by a friend of mine but all your help is much appreciated

Comment

I dont think you understand.

1901 - James and John are living with the Edmonds family as boarders. Mrs Edmonds is named Caroline and Mr Edmonds is named Benjamin
                1891 - Caroline Donner is living with Benjamin Edmonds
                1881 - Caroline is married to James O Donner with kids James Junior and Charles Henry. This James is either the same James brother of John or is an older brother and she had another James a few years later. Not unheard of.
                Hail Spode!

Comment

As Guy said, I don't think you understand what we are saying - where do you have the birthdates from ? if its just from ancestry I would do much more checking. There are four public and 2 private family trees on ancesty with James Donner with 1877 birthdate - one says 10 Feb 1877, others more general. I don't think any of them are much more than compilations of census entries

These are the only birth registrations for James Donner or ODonner anywhere in England 1875-1885, but there may be some reason why another birth in 1881 was not listed in the GRO index. You will need to check more locally (ie where James was born).

Births Mar 1877
                  DONNER James Glanford Brigg 7a 772

Births Jun 1884
                  Donner James WIlliam Spilsby 7a 606

These are the John Donners in the same period

Births Dec 1878
                  DONNER John Joseph Basford 7b 127

Births Jun 1883
                  DONNER John William Caistor 7a 670

Births Mar 1885
                  DONNER John Henry Louth 7a 626

If you are fairly sure that the John William Donner is correct, you can get a copy of the birth certificate and it will give you his parents names. If you are sure of the birthdate you have for James Donner, you could ask the Local Record Office if they have a birth in their registers to match - they don't require the GRO index reference, only the date.

Di
                  Diane
                  Sydney Australia

Comment

Now i understand. Thanks for been patient with me. John Williams birthdate is correct. He was my Great Grandad and was killed during the war. I have a copy of his bravery certificate that was sent to my Great Grandma. Now i've just looked at some certifcates that were sent to me from Find my past. One of the certificates gives James year of birth says 1877 and the other now that i've checked, says 1881. Thats why i was confused, obviously, one is wrong. My apologies to you all and many thanks for your patience and help. Very much appreciated.

Tricia

Comment

Hi Tricia

It looks like quite a story about James and Caroline and their various partners, have fun sorting it all out. Feel free to ask more questions if it does not make sense - some families just don't want to be sorted out easily, and the people on this forum just love a good tangle to unravel

Di
                      Diane
                      Sydney Australia

Comment

Indeed. Once you're into it, all the facts and figures buzz around as a confused mass within your head until suddenly they resonate in perfect pitch and it all becomes clear. At that point life, space and time appear as one single equation and it is so simple. Well perhaps not, but at least most of the names and dates seem to fit.
                        Hail Spode!

Comment

I'm quite new to all this and have found a few surprises already !!. It does look like theres 2 James. I'm going to sit down tomorrow and put what info i've got together and see what i come up with. Its like a giant jig saw puzzle. Lodgers !! Housekeepers !! what ever next....lol. Make no wonder my Grandma used to say " you don't want to know !!"

Comment

Working...
                          X