Covering all bases - William John LEGGETT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covering all bases - William John LEGGETT

Would sks check the outgoing passenger lists for me please.

William John LEGGETT born 1832.

In 1841 he is here with 2 aunts, his grandmother & a couple of cousins.
    Class:HO107; Piece 701; Book: 6; Folio: 36; Page: 18;

In her will of 1848 his aunt Elizabeth MILES makes William her heir to inherit when he is 21.

1851 finds him living with Samuel PARKES & family. Samuel was left running the works until William attained 21.
    Class: HO107; Piece: 1554; Folio: 282; Page: 35

With some difficulty I have found the works in '61, '71 & '81 & can see no family connection. I am wondering if when William inherited, he sold up & moved abroad.

The only other possiblity is a death registered in Strand Dist in 1856. If there is no other sign of him I'll send for that. If that is him I'm a little puzzled that there is no will.

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by Oakum Picker; 26-09-09, 21:16. Reason: Incorrect year of birth
    Glen

where was he born Glen??

I'll have a look, though i'm not sure whether I have the ability to see the records.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks Julie. He was born Bermondsey. 31 Great Maze Pond to be precise. Amazingly the road is still there running through Guy's Hospital.
      Last edited by Oakum Picker; 26-09-09, 21:19. Reason: Additional info.
      Glen

Comment

Sorry Glen

I only can see incoming passenger lists.
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Glen there's a William Leggett born ca 1831 travelled 16/2/1856 but he appears to be an American returning.

There's this one travelling with 2 other Leggett's but younger than the age you have for him.

NY passenger list 1820 - 1957
          Departure Liverpool 16/5/1854 on North American
          William Leggett 21 mechanic
          Ann Legett 20
          Benj Leggett 28 mechanic
          All from England to inhabit USA
          Jay

Comment

Same as me Julie. Thanks anyway.

Thanks Jay for looking. Neither of those fit. I'll have to go for the death cert.
            Glen

Comment

There's a couple of John's but they travelled before 1851.

There's a John born ca 1833 with Fanny born ca 1831 travelling 15/9/1856, but again they appear to be American returning.
              Jay

Comment

There's nothing under Leggott, or any jumping out on the US census either.
                Jay

Comment

Thanks for all those Jay. It was a bit of a long shot; it's just that no-one else seems to have benefitted from his good fortune. Perhaps the solicitors or executors diddled him out of his inheritance or perhaps he received it & gambled it all away.LOL
                  Glen

Comment

i would contact westminster archives and ask them if they can locate a burial. ive done it before i ordered certs, and they are very nice.

Comment

Thanks for that Kyle. Wouldn't that be a bit of a job for them though as I only have the registration district.
                      Glen

Comment

the church will most likely be st ann's soho. my family are in the strand registration district, and theyre events were at this church.

Comment

Working...
                        X