Is there any way backwards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there any way backwards?

I am trying to help a friend with his tree but I have come to a point that I can't see any way backwards. Is it an impossible dead end?

I am trying to find the parents of William John Burnett. His death in Jan-March 1945 Uxbridge gives age as 57 (so born circa 1887 early 1888) . He married Sarah Sawyer on Oct 3rd 1909 in Walworth, he gives age as 23 (so born c 1886) a batchelor - Carman - He states father is William Burnett a deceased Carman. I found a possible in 1911. It was transcribed as William G (but it looks like a J to me) aged 25/26, not quite clear. It states married 2 years which would fit. If it is him it says born Surrey - Camberwell. I can't find a matching birth though and I don't have any information about possible siblings. So no birth cert to send for. I have found a few possibles, including one in Scotland but no proof.

Is there anywhere I can go from here please?
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

What address does he give on the marriage cert?

Comment

82 Inville Road

Comment

I was hoping he might have joined up in WW1, but I can't see a likely service/pension record.

The only family that even approximately fits in 1891 is Edward and Rachel Burnett (born Hackney) with children Clara, 8, William, 5, and Edith, 3, all born Camberwell, but it's a very long shot. Edward is a painter's labourer.

- Ancestry.co.uk

This seems to be the marriage:

Marriages Sep 1889
        Burnett Edward Vincent St. Saviour 1d 307
        Hollings Rachel St. Saviour 1d 307

which would mean that all the children were born before the marriage.

Rachel dies in 1898 (possibly), and in 1901, Edith's in Camberwell workhouse.

Comment

The fact that he says his father is deceased and has the same name and occupation as him might suggest that he's illegitimate and inventing a father.

Comment

The new Ancestry London records have 4 baptisms in Camberwell for children of Edward and Rachel Burnett, including Edith, but not including Clara and William.

Burnett - London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906 - Ancestry.co.uk

Can't see an obvious baptism for William with any parents, but if he was illegitimate he may not have been registered as Burnett.

Comment

Thank you for trying Mary. I too suspect that there may be a problem with 'Father William'. I even wondered about a Scottish family, because I know that one of their children, born in 1929 married in Scotland 20 odd years later. But it sounds as though you agree that there is really no way of proving anything?

Comment

Not really. I was just looking again at the London baptisms, and there's a John William Burnett with parents John William and Mary Ann baptised in Bermondsey in 1886:

William Burnett - London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906 - Ancestry.co.uk

The father's a labourer, but he could have changed occupation later. It's all very speculative, though.

Comment

I don't suppose your friend knows if William had any brothers or sisters?

Comment

There is a William Burnett with father William baptised in Bermondsey in 1891, but his father's a fishmonger, so I should think we can rule that one out.

Comment

I'm just trying to piece together that family that you found Mary but it won't let me look at the surnames or details of the baptisms :conf: Do you need a subscription above the basic one for that?

Comment

Goodness Mary, you've found a lot since I went looking at the others :Big Grin:

I asked him if he knew if William had any siblings but he doesn't know much about his grandfather at all. He is going to try asking an elderly uncle if he can help but I believe that he is getting forgetful and I imagine that he was from Sarah's side. Otherwise he would be one of the siblings that I am hoping for.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                          I'm just trying to piece together that family that you found Mary but it won't let me look at the surnames or details of the baptisms :conf: Do you need a subscription above the basic one for that?
                          Yes, I think you probably do. I'll PM you.

Comment

Might be worth asking if anyone knows whether he served in WW1, and where.

Comment

Thank you Mary :smilee: Yes, I'll e-mail him to ask if he knows if he served in the war. I imagine he should have done as he would only be about 28 when it started.

Comment

I had a brilliant find recently - we have an old photo album showing soldiers in Egypt, and had no idea which member of the family it related to. I'd never checked it properly, and found a faint name on a photographer's envelope and a postcard sent to an address in England, and managed to work back from there to find out who it was. So you never know what might give you a lead.

Comment

That was lucky Mary :smilee: Yes, it's true, just the smallest hint can sometimes help.

Comment

I don't suppose this will help, as I can't find either of them, but I just remembered something - the witnesses at the wedding in 1909 were Harry Steer and Annie Hall.

Comment

Working...
                                    X