Bank of England Archives - Wow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bank of England Archives - Wow!

I have been doing a bit of tree research for a friend, and her g-g-father's marriage records had stated that his father had been a clerk/cashier in the Bank of England.

I thought it might be worth a bit of googling, and I discovered that the Bank of England does have emailable archives... so I did, on 17 September, in the early evening (i.e. after work). Today (only one week later) I received a reply - with three photo attachments - from one of the archivists. She had found the Gx2-g-father's salary record (image attached)... and thought that I might be interested to know that the G-g-father had also been an employee of the Bank (two images attached). There might be additional information about the G-g-father's employment history, and she would look further, next week! The covering email gave the respective employment histories to make it easier for a non-expert to interpret the salary records.

That was such a thrill - I've forwarded the message and images to my friend and her family. I can't imagine that they won't be at least as delighted as I am.

I am so impressed by the promptness of the reply and its helpfulness. It would have been very easy to give a go-away reply, or to give only the information for which I'd asked, without making the effort to give me all that extra.

Three Cheers for the Bank of England Archives! :Big Grin:

Christine

In this context: HOOPER, HALDEN, MAYLESTON (& variants); BRANCH, AGER, SIGERS (& variants)
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Excellent result Christine - Well Done Your friend will be thrilled to bits !!

How quick was that - Job well done, Bank of England:smilee:
    Jacky

Comment

Great result Christine :smilee:
      Jay

Comment

See, bankers aren't all bad. Or at least, archivists aren't!!!!
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

How fortunate to come across an archivist who is so keen to provide information.

I visited the Bank of England museum a couple of years ago, it is both free & fascinating. (Open Mon-Fri)

Comment

Christine..... could you possibly please let me have the email address for the Bank of England archives?...... My gr grandfather, his father, brothers, father in law and various cousins and their children all worked for the Bank of England so would love to be able to find out more.

thanks
            Nicky

Comment

My googling brought me to this page:
              Bank of England|About the Bank|History|Archive

from which I found my way here (Contact):
              Bank of England|About the Bank|History|Archive|Contacting the Archive

which gives:
              If you would like to make an enquiry or book an appointment, you can contact us using one of the following:

By phone: +44 (0)20 7601 4810/5096

By post:
              The Archivist,
              The Bank of England Archive,
              Threadneedle Street
              London
              EC2R 8AH
              Or by e-mail archive@bankofengland.co.uk
              Christine
              Last edited by Christine in Herts; 27-09-09, 22:25.
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks for that Christine....... I wonder if this is a relatively new service? as I have looked at/googled for B of E info in the past and not come up with any of that.

thanks again, I hope the archavists have a bit of spare time on their hands, as their about to get a long list of names from me!! LOL....

Nicky

Comment

Perhaps you could make arrangements to visit? Then you could collect up the info yourself.

Christine

Comment

That nice lady has been back to me today.

I'd asked if she had an age for the senior of the names at his start date (1780). Yes! He was 24, so now I have an approximate DoB of 1755-6, to help me eliminate any false matches - and (maybe) spot a baptism or something!

Christine

Comment

Great, that was kind of her :smilee:

Good luck, i hope you find a Baptism, Christine.
                      Jacky

Comment

How wonderful!

I wonder if they have any other records apart from employees? My GGFx4's will of 1823 mentions his "stocks at the Bank of England" - wonder if they would have any info on that.

Comment

I should have thought that any business should have records of its shareholders. I'd say it was definitely worth the asking. The contact info is on one of my earlier posts, I think?

Christine

Comment

My friend at the Bank of England Archives has come up trumps again. It really is outstanding service (though this one came with a subtle hint that it's time I considered visiting to do my own work!).

The junior one in the family had been dismissed :o and I had speculated whether there might be any reference in the Minutes. The answer is yes: five-and-a-bit pages of beautiful copper-plate script explaining all his misdemeanours and rule-breaking!

I'm just so impressed.

Christine

Comment

Working...
                            X