scottish census help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scottish census help please

can i please get some help on the 1871 scottish census?

william slimmon, b.16 mar 1853, burntisland, fife. son of william slimmon 1813-1896, and agnes mcrae b.1821, edinburgh.

he is with his parents in 1861, i assume in burntisland. he then reappears in 1881 with them as a widower. he emmigrated to australia around 1882, and on his marriage to agnes ramsay in 1883, he states his previous wife (dont know her name) died in 1877. i cant find a marriage, and was hoping that he may be with his wife in 1871?

also, could someone see if his mother agnes is on the 1901? she may have died in the 1890's, but my source hasnt got the 1901 census on the page.

1901 scotland (in Burntisland.)

Agnes Slimmon aged 80 housekeeper.
    Jessie Slimmon " " 45 (daughter)
    William F Sharrie " 21
    John Campbell " " 29
    Alexander Retchie " 23

addy: no19 kirkgate.

Source Citation: Parish: Burntisland; ED: 2; Page: 17; Line: 18; Roll CSSCT1901_132; Year: 1901.

can't see William, though there is a William Slimmon coming back from Boston MA USA born in 1853. but he arrives back in UK in 1910 (so doubt that he is your william.)

and this tree if you havent already seen it

- Ancestry.co.uk

hope this helps Kyle.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

have just found this one, looks promising, though I dont know what occupation you have for your william. (this one is a ships carpenter)

visiting with the Dalgleish family.

Source Citation: Parish: Cramond; ED: 1; Page: 34; Line: 13; Roll CSSCT1871_154; Year: 1871.

he is transcribed as Wm. Slimon but born in Brosholand, Fifeshire

- Ancestry.co.uk
      Julie

Comment

From GROS

1861 Census
        SLIMON, William age 35 Burntisland, Fife 411/00 001/00 0006

1876 marriage
        SLIMON, William THOMSON, Janet W Burntisland, Fife 411/00/0007

1877 death
        SLIMON, Janet Whitelaw Other name THOMSON Burntisland, Fife 411/00 0007

1871 Census
        SLIMMON, William age 58 Burntisland, Fife 411/00 004/00 0005
        SLIMMON, William age 45 Burntisland, Fife 411/00 001/00 0008

All the searches were done on SLIMMON using Soundex.

Hope this is of some help.

Comment

thank you darksecretz, that is him! he was a shipwright. thank you hugo, that is immensly helpful!

what is gros by the way?

Comment

GROS is 'General Register Office Scotland' I do believe.

happy to have helped Kyle... is nice to give abit back.. :smilee:
            Julie

Comment

Hi Kyle,
              William had 3 wives.
              The two already mentioned then Sarah Jane Brown.
              Also, in some online databases McRae is entered as McCrae.
              Cheers.

Comment

hi greg, im still researching this tree, though i think its pretty much done with the records. it's my step grandfather's family, he died a few years ago now, but my grandma asked me to help finish it.

Comment

G'day Kyle.
                  William Slimmon & Agnes Brown Ramsay were my Great Grand Parents.
                  Their daughter Agnes (1888-1966) was my Grandma.
                  Her family were located in Gardenvale in Melbourne.
                  William's dad was William, as you know, (1813-1896) and his dad was, yep, William as well. (married 1812 to Elizabeth Campbell, d/o William Campbell). Small world, eh?
                  I'm in Melbourne too. I used to live in Gardenvale several years ago in the house next door to where I last saw my Grandma in 1966.
                  Cheers,
                  Greg.

Comment

my step grandad was the son of robert mcrae slimmon. i dont have any of the information with me, all at grandma's, but i never got much further on the igi than william slimmon and elizabeth campbell. i was surprised to even get that far. most of my scottish rellies lived in parts of scotland where records barely exist till 1829.

Comment

Looking at my family tree, I see a Robert McRae Slimmon (1900-1968) who married Ivy Mary Fisher Hart. They had three daughters and two sons - Mervyn & Ivan. Is one of these your step Grandad? If so, I have a picture of his Grandma, Sarah Jane "Jeannie" Brown (1871-1938). Cheers.

Comment

yes, thats the right family. we called mervyn 'bill'. he was disgusted his parents gave him a nerdy name!

Comment

OK, I think I've worked it out.
                          William Slimmon (1853-1910)'s 2nd wife & 3rd wife were also first cousins.
                          Therefore, Robert McRae Slimmon was my Grandma's half-brother and also her second cousin!
                          (To simplify the matter, let's just call them brother and sister.)
                          Your step-Grandfather Mervyn "Bill" Slimmon was therefore my Mum's cousin.
                          I think I've got it right. Anyway, I've attached a photo of Bill's Grandma, Sarah Jane Slimmon (nee Brown). It's the only photo I have of her. I think my Mum has the original.
                          Cheers.
                          Attached Files

Comment

What a lovely Photograph Greg, I'm sure that Kyle will be delighted when he sees it. :smilee:
                            Julie

Comment

hi greg, sorry for the delay in replying, been very busy with work and xmas shopping!! im sure my grandma will be thrilled to see the picture. she may even have some of the family.......i will have to enquire. it is a lovely photo.

Comment

G'day Kyle,
                                Spoke to my Mum the other day and asked her if she remembered Robert McRae Slimmon to which she replied "Uncle Bob". She then rattled off his childrens' names including you step-Grandfather. She was telling me how his family would travel from Kyneton to Frankston for the summer holidays. Interestingly, she also mentioned that there was once a Slimmon "Family Bible" that contained all the Slimmon family history and was passed down through the generations. Robert McRae Slimmon's sister, Jane "Jean" Ferrier Slimmon, was the last to have it and its whereabouts are now unknown since her death in 1972. How handy would that book have been today! Anyway, I've just joined ancestry.com and, LOL, your Slimmon Family Tree comes up in a lot of my searches. It's proving very useful in helping me fill in some missing gaps. Cheers.

Comment

haha, glad it's helping someone! i havnt delved into it yet! grandma had the certs for the slimmon line, and basic tree for scotland. i jumped on the igi and fleshed it out. i havnt got the baptism and census images for the slimmon's yet. and havnt even started on the rest of bill's family.

we have a few stories on family bibles. i will ask grandma if she knows of the slimmon one. knowing her, it's in a box full of trinkets in the shed! my gran emmigrated from england with my pop and mum in 1972, and she had possession of the old family bibles, current belief is they were of her grandparents, so dated from the 1850's, anyway she had to throw a lot of things out for the move, and she threw out the bibles!!

Comment

LOL, I had to type "igi" into Google to see what it was. I've used that site. It has William Slimmon & Elizabeth Campbell's marriage recorded under William Slimming & Elisabeth Campbell. On their childrens' records, it has William's surname ranging from Sliming, Sliman, Slimman, Sleming, Slemman and Slemming !!
                                    Do you know much about what happened to "Bill". My last records of him were that he may have married Marjorie Joan Velli but no information after that. Now I know he married your Grandma at some stage too. Looking at your ancestry.com tree, I'm assuming your Dad was born during your Grandma's first marriage and took on Bill's surname after Bill married your Grandma and they had another child. Is that right? If so, then, lol, that makes you my step second cousin once removed. Cheers.

Comment

yes, that's all correct. bill is even listed as dad's father on the birth cert. apparently that's what happened in those days. the adoptive parent (s) were put down on the birth cert.

i dont know much about bills first wife. only that she was indian, and cleaned him out in the divorce. very bitter those two were.

Comment

G'day Kyle. Found out one of my cousins has been researching the Slimmon tree for ages. She's very thorough and has source citations for everything. She sent me the details which I'm slowly adding into my tree at ancestry.com. When it's updated in a week or two I'll send you a message so you can check it out. Hopefully I don't go nuts before it's finished - there are so many people in the Slimmon tree with the same name!

Comment

Working...
                                        X