National Archives problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Archives problem

Last week I asked The National Archives for an estimate for document copying using the reference on their website: "reference WO 121/85/68 (part of document WO 121/85) Thomas Pitman"

I've just had their reply: "We are able to spend up to twenty minutes attempting to identify the material specified by you in up to five records, in order to estimate the copying cost. Our preliminary examination shows that your request would require a longer search than this, so we are unable to proceed."

I don't understand - I thought a reference number should lead them relatively easily to the correct document. They say I can go and do the research myself, but if the people who know the system can't find it, then I'm not likely to be able to! (I'm not likely to get to Kew, anyway). Any advice on what I can do?

scuda
    Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

I believe this series is arranged by date of admission to pension and the Catalogue description doesn't give the date, so they would have to look through the whole thing (possibly on film). The /68 probably doesn't mean anything - they would have to look through all of WO121/85. It wouldn't be a problem finding it - it just might take some time!
    The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
    Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

I believe this series is arranged by date of admission to pension and the Catalogue description doesn't give the date
      Thanks Ann. The catalogue gives a date of 1807 for this entry, but the date isn't included when you follow the request a copy link. From what you say, if I added the date they should be able to find the document, is that correct?

scuda
      Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

The film might all be 1807! I think they'd need the actual date, which you wouldn't know without looking at the film.....
        The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
        Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

National Archives problem - now sorted

OK, everyone, I've got it sorted out now.

scuda

Comment

Scuda how did you solve it? I've had the same email recently for one of mine.
            Jay

Comment

N
              Scuda how did you solve it? I've had the same email recently for one of mine.
              Sorry, no clever answer. After a bit of looking around I decided that if I wanted it I was going to have to find it myself or get someone to find it for me. So that's what I'm organising.

Not much help to you I'm afraid. I'm surprised that The National Archives website doesn't make it a bit clearer, it would surely save them work, and save a lot of frustration on our part.

scuda

Comment

Thanks Scuda, thought that might of been the case.
                Jay

Comment

I have seached for a pension record in the National archives. I ordered the relevant number and was surprised to find a collection of papers in a dusty old cardboard box. The order appeared to be quite random and it took quite a lot of time to find the correct record. But oh the joy to hold the original document!

Comment

I too had recently requested a copy of a document in the war diaries section.
                    I had been to Kew and had the doc. It was written in pencil and hardly legible.
                    When I saw the page on Archives for a photocopy estimate I requested same to see if they could provide a better copy. I got a similar answer to Scuda. I was disappointed
                    as I felt they should not say they will give an estimate and then not proceed.

Comment

Working...
                    X