I am lost...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am lost...

Hi, this may be an unusual request; but can any one tell me how to go about finding a relative - Kathleen Fitzgerald b. 1922, died sometime early 1980's.
    Do not know married name - adopted 2 chn (boys I think).
    Families lost contact when we migrated to Australia in 1955. I have no living relative to contact other than these two children.
    I think I am stumped. I'd apreciate a bit of advice.

Thanks regards
    Marnie

Researching: Fitzgerald; Hill; Galloway; Cole; Cummiskey.

Hi Marnie, Do you know where she was born/married/died?
    Last edited by Guest; 24-09-09, 11:46.

Comment

You can search the transcribed Ancestry marriages with her name, but it comes up with an awful lot of hits. If you can narrow down the when and where married, that will give you some possible spouse's surnames.

And if you can wait a few months, Ancestry are planning to release a transcribed index of deaths prior to 1984.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

John & Uncle John

Thanks for replying. I know Kathleen was born in Greenwich Jul/Aug/Sep qtr, 1922. I do not know when or where she was married or died; that is my dilema. Her sisters were both married in the district of Chatham. I do not have access to Ancestry.

Marnie

Comment

Was Kathleen older than her sisters? Could she have perhaps been a witness at their weddings and signed her married name?
          Was she married before your move to Australia ( just trying to narrow search years)

Comment

I've been trying to find a marriage but there are quite a few hits. Really need something to make her more unique. You couldn't even have a guess at her husband's surname/name at all I suppose??

Comment

If you could get an actual date of birth for her then the Ancestry death records could be searched for a Kathleen with that dob who died in the 1980s.

Only problems with that approach are that (as UJ pointed out) at the moment Ancestry only has the deaths transcribed after 1984, this assumes that the person who registered her death knew her dob and how many other Kathleens were born on that day and died in the early 1980s
              Jackie

Comment

Where did you get the information that Kathleen died in the early 1980s?

Comment

Hi everyone

I will send away for Kathleen's birth certificate in the next couple of weeks. She was the youngest. As to the date she died; my parents visited England in 1980 and she was still alive then, although she had been diagnosed with cancer. My Dad died in 1985, I do not think she was alive then. I cannot think of her married name. I know that her sister Shelagh married in 1942 (married name Cole). I have looked on my parent's marriage certificate - she wasn't a witness.
                  The Fitzgerald family lived at 12 Craigton Rd Eltham. This was the family home until the death of their step mother in August 1986.

Thank you for all your searching.
                  Marnie

Comment

Marnie,
                    Are you in touch with Shelagh? If not might it be worth tracing her and her children to see what they know about Kathleen's married name?
                    I had a look for Shelagh's marriage to Cole in 1942 and nothing is showing on ancestry - are you sure of this information?
                    Margaret

Comment

Oops! found Shelah M Fitzgerald marriage to Cole don't know why it didn't show up when I searched with her first name - only appeared on a surname only search.
                      Margaret
                      Last edited by margaretmarch; 27-09-09, 08:28.

Comment

Hi ,Marnie just thought I would mention, that I live about one mile from 12 Craigton Rd Eltham. so if I can help in anyway, please let me know. maybe some pics etc, or I can check records the local office, not sure if or how I can help, but just shout if I can...good luck....Lilly...:Wink:
                        Last edited by Lilly the flower; 27-09-09, 08:34.

Comment

Do you think if you saw the surname it would jog your memory, here are two possibles the only ones that jumped out at me in the area.
                          Kathleen Fiztgerald
                          married Allan Terry
                          1947, Woolwich
                          Vol 5D J/A/S
                          Page 2558
                          Woolwich is not far from Greenwich.
                          Here is the other
                          Kathleen J Fitzgerald
                          married John H ingram
                          J/A/S, 1944 Greenwich
                          Vol 1D page 1121
                          might help
                          GWEN

Comment

Hi Marnie and Margaret - I found the marriage on FreeBMD - Shelagh is spelt as Shelah M Fittzgerald and she married Albert E Cole in Chatham - March quarter, 1942.
                            FreeBMD - Search I'm not sure about children..BMD seems to be sporadic up until 1945. They might show on ancestry.

Comment

Whoops...when I just wrote the previous messages weren't there, so ignore me for repeating! ; -)

Comment

I did see one child of Cole/Fitzgerald born 1945 I'll Pm the details as he may still be alive. I couldn't see anyone of the right age range for this person on 192.com.
                                Margaret

Comment

I appreciate all the help I am getting.

I know Shelah married Albert Cole in 1942 and had a son Robert b. 1945. My parents were in contact with them frequently until Shelah died in 1983.
                                  A friend of the Cole family gave me Robert's email address, but for some reason he did not repy or want to have contact. Recently, I was informed he has moved to USA.

Lilly, my grandfather's (John b. 27 Nov 1889 d. 2 Oct 1954) second wife was Rose Letitia Galloway (b.1896, d. Aug 1986, m. 4th qtr. 1932 at Woolwich). We are all catholics. He worked as Foreman of Stores, Royal Victorian Yard, Admiralty Dept, seconded to British Navy. Daisy Marian Hill (d. 4 Dec 1926, Bermuda) & 4 children travelled with him. I do not have any photos - my Mum died recently and I cannot find anything of interest. When my Dad married in 1947 John was still working at the Royal Victorian Yard and living at 12 Craigton Rd Eltham. Do not know if this is of any help.

Gwen, I have looked up both Terry and Ingram for her death on Genesreunited, but to no avail - not knowing the date of death.

Been having a few internet problems of late and I don't hop on every day.

Thanks for your help, ladies.:smilee:

Comment

Hi,
                                    Sorry Robert has not replied to you but we can still keep trying. What was the name(s) of the other sister(s) of Kathleen and Shelah?
                                    Who is the Daisy Hill you mention?
                                    Were there any children from John's second marriage?
                                    Margaret

Comment

**Margaret,** I think Daisy was John first wife?...I can get down to Woolwich record office and see if there is anything down there, or the Maritime Museum in Greenwich, not sure if grandfather John was on the Ships that left Woolwich or not, or whether he worked as a store man in the docks? as a bit confused about John and Daisy who died in Bermuda, can also get down to 12 Craigton Rd Eltham. to take a few pics....just need to get confirmation of John and Daisy..

***Marnie*** if you would like some pics let me know, but will need an email, so just send a message with it in...OK..Lilly...;)

Comment

Hi all

No, there were no children from 2nd. marriage.

Maureen Agnes was the 3rd child of Daisy and John; b. 30 Mar 1921, Greenwich; m. 6 Oct 1945, Chatham,(Morris Gershenson b. USA, d. may 2002, P.A USA); 1 adopted son, died ?2000 USA. Maureen is still living in USA but is suffering from dementia. The Gershenson family cannot help me.

My Dad, John Patrick Gerald Fitz-Gerald b. 11 Jun 1916, Greenwich; m. 19 Apr 1947 Woolwich; d. 30 Oct 1985 NSW Aust.

Now off to feed the MOTH (Man of the house).

Marnie
                                        Last edited by Marnie; 01-10-09, 08:20.

Comment

Working...
                                        X