Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help...this hasn`t happened before...which way now ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help...this hasn`t happened before...which way now ?

Every now and then I go on Ukraine Channel: Travel, Culture, Society, Area Guides, Forums, Blogs to check for my Father in Law...Ostap Kabluckyj......so in January I scanned the back of some old photos from 1929 ..1946...1959 ....all Ostaps snaps....with writing on the back...and there is a lady on Ukraine.com who has contact with a professor at Kiev University....he tries to help with genealogy purely voluntary....so..just revealed
    "for long memory,I am presenting this to my pal KABLUTZKIJ from Andrij Stets,10/08/1946 ,Rimini,Italy......this was were the Ukranian POW camp was .
    so, now ,....the spelling of my wifes surname was Kablutzkij not Kabluckyj ....and also there is the Andrij Stets......on the Ukranian website there are quite a few Andrij....Andrew in English.........so now I need advice...is there a website for Surname searches....through these photos I now know Ostaps relations were
    Katernya Kablutzkij .........mother
    Petro Kablutzkij.....uncle
    Anna Kablutzkij........not sure
    Bohdan Kablutzkij...not sure
    his very good friend Andrij Stets
    and if my wife gave the wrong surname 37 years ago ,is our marriage legal ?
    I`m ffffffffffffrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeee......lo l....allan:Big Grin:
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Do Ukrainians have different spellings according to whether they are male or female? Or maybe it is just the anglicising of the name.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Hiya Caroline....sadly Ostap died aged 40 in 1967...my MIL says the story goes like this...(we never know if these stories are true do we?)
      When the POW`s from Ukraine landed at Folkestone , the man in charge was a Scottish Seargant with red hair...the ukranians ,not having seen many men like this were afraid of him...when (I now know) OSTAP KABLUTZKIJ was asked his name .number etc, the Scottish Seargant said "you are now Eustace Kabluckyj in this country....Eustace had to report to the local police station on the last friday of every month to sign a statement that he was NOT a member of the communist party for the rest of his life...how degrading,,...so
      Eustace Kabluckyj was actually Ostap Kablutzkij......he arrived in this country in 1947 and was put to work on a farm down south...my MIL went to visit a relation in London in 1949,met Eustace (ostap) and they married here in Garston in 1949....and a true story is that my Mil lived on the 3rd floor of a tenament block of 16 flats on 4 floors...4 fats on each floor..when she arrived with Eustace at the flats ,he thought the whole block of flats was her house and stood there open mouthed in shock...lol....allan:smilee:
      Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire

Comment

update...the name still lives
        **** Kablutzkij
        Truskavec,
        Drohobycz,
        Lvivska oblast
        Ukraine
        he evidently organised a football tournament in 2005....is there any way I can find the full address for this man ?....allan:Wink:
        ADDED.....Truscavec is 36 miles from Rohatyn....in a country the size of the Ukraine...I would think that`s very very close indeed....allan
        Last edited by garstonite; 24-09-09, 09:52.

Comment

another update...and my neck is aching....NO Stets whatsoever on IGI from Ukraine...........a few from Austria / Hungary /Yugoslavia...but mostly from Germany....was this friend Andrij Stets a German and not Ukrainian in the POW camp ?........I think so..
          NO KABLUTZKIJ on IGI WHATSOEVER..allan:conf:
          Last edited by garstonite; 24-09-09, 14:02.

Comment

Hi. This site might be useful Encyclopedia of Ukraine generally and this telephone directory Home page / BUSINESS-UKRAINE - database, directory - search companies, products, services. although it appears to be for businesses.

Comment

Thanks Naomiatt...unfortunately the directory site explains it needs the search in Dative.....the Ukranian letters of the alphabet.......nothing on the encyclopedia site.........thanks again......allan:Wink:

Comment

Hi - ...Russian names might give clues. Also, wonder if the name could also be C/Chablutzkij....variations of what you have..
                Looks like the telephone directory availability is quite limited.. have you tried a newspaper over there? I know that finding records from the Ukraine can be quite difficult without using a researcher. One lot of my ggp's are from Berdychev. They were Jewish and there is quite a bit of info about the Ukraine in that sense. Finding their original surname though is a nightmare! ;-) I must have fifteen spellings for them in London beginning with O, Ch and H!
                This site could be worth a look Krasovskyj
                to give some ideas. There are Stets'kiv from Ukraine

It was really common to have surnames changed on arrival to the UK..so in a way
                Ostap was fortunate that it didn't change too much. Have you ever found details for him as being naturalised?

Comment

Thanks Naomiatt....the Stets`kiv is interesting...could easily have been his surname...stets being an abbr.....I will check that out on Geneanet.com ...MY BIL may ? have Nationialisation Papers...I`ll ring him when he gets home from work.....2 new avenues to take.
                  I have found a site called
                  Conversation Exchange - Language learning with native speakers I have contacted a 22yr old Lawyer named Olga who lives in Kiev (80 miles from Ostaps birth place) I have asked her to help in finding **** Kablutzkij in Truscavec....she wants to learn better English, and I want to learn a little Ukranian in case I go there to see Ostaps family..so we are now in contact with each other,..so I have made quite a bit of progress over the last 24 hrs....thanks again...allan

Comment

Allan, this is a useful site although i could'nt find the name you mention, handy for your bookmarks :smilee:

Merseyside Aliens
                    Jacky

Comment

Thanks Jacky......quite a few Garston addresses on there....worth keeping for future references.....allan:Wink:

Comment

Hi Allan - thought of something else - you mentioned that Eustace had to report to the local police station on the last Friday of every month to sign a statement that he was NOT a member of the communist party for the rest of his life...there should be records for him.
                        I'm not sure what police station he had to go to...but it's worth looking in to.
                        For example, there is a Salford Police Record of Aliens.

Comment

That`s a great shout Naomiatt...and I know which Police Station it was as well...SPEKE ,Liverpool....he died 42 years ago...would I look a fool going in and asking for records from the 1950`s ?.....it`s only 4 miles away so I think I`ll call in Sunday afternoon when it`s not busy ....do you think Speke Police Station would have an e-mail address ? .cheers...allan:smilee:

Comment

E-Mail sent to merseyside police.....I have to say after checking what I had requested ,it did look a very unusual request for a police station....alien request ...lol....once again thanks Naomiatt...I`m very hopeful....allan:Wink:

Comment

Hi - hope you get a result! Funny, I saw a birth reg today which said the person was born in St Martians!!

Comment

Working...
                              X