Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to find out anything to do with this pic

Hi,

Just starting out in this hobby, and trying to find out whatever I can about my Great Uncle Alec. He died aged 17 after being gassed in WW1 while serving (underage) in the Royal Navy. This is the only photo I have of him, so trying to find out what the uniform is to try and hopefully work out what he did. I can find no record of an Alexander Blackmore serving in the Royal Navy so assuming he joined up with a fake name - which makes finding info hard!

Thanks

Mat

Last edited by Darksecretz; 23-09-09, 16:22. Reason: adding pic to thread so people can see it

Hi Mat

Welcome to FTF, I can't help with the photo although will say he does look very young.

Have you got his death certificate, it seems to be on Free BMD:

Blackmore, Alexander N (should be R) - June qtr 1916 - Totnes district - ref. 5b 223.

This ties up with a birth in June 1899 of Alexander Rowse Blackmore, also Totnes district.

Carolyn
    :D Carolyn

Comment

No Ships name on the hatband, does not look a Naval uniform, more scouts etc.

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
        No Ships name on the hatband, does not look a Naval uniform, more scouts etc.
        I thought that too James, Sea Scouts? I did notice that there were 3 badges on his left arm, but I don't know what they are.
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I've been thinking along those lines too - this is the best picture I can come up with for the early uniform

"Johnny" Walker's Scouting Milestones Pages - The Early History of Sea Scouting
          Jackie

Comment

Some of the early uniforms were very similar to the boys in the picture, I think we are looking at a sea scout....

Comment

Hi Matkey, Hope you don't mind but I gave your picture a little clean up...:smilee:

Jen

Researching: Brandon.London/M/cr. Tyson.France/Mcr.

Comment

And one in B&W....

Jen

Researching: Brandon.London/M/cr. Tyson.France/Mcr.

Comment

Working...
                X