Family Historian 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Historian 4

I've downloaded the free trial of FH4 and quite like the look of it...but I have an FTM file of about 2000 individuals.

In FTM2006 I have put:
    Baptism dates in the Birth field as 'Bef date'
    Burial dates in the Death field as 'Bef date'

It's going to be quite a lot of work to move all the baptism dates into the baptism field! But I love the way that I can see the baptism field on the main screen...and a man who had 3 wives is shown with all of them on the same screen - excellent.

Can someone convince me that I should (or should not!?) change from FTM2006 to FH4??

And if I do change, is there any advantage to buying the boxed version rather than the downloadable version?
    Kind regards,
    William
    Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

If you have a text editor (PSPad is my favourite), it's possible to do a search and replace to switch any BIRT records with BEF to BAPT and strip the BEF if you want. One of the reasons I originally switched to FH is that it's relatively easy to edit the GEDCOM file.

I would be hard pressed to suggest staying with FTM, since I jumped ship when FH was on V2 and it's grown a lot since then.

The differences between the Download and Boxed version are the Boxed version comes with a 30 trial for World Vital Records and a small getting started booklet and a CD. Just a note if you buy the CD you need to install it over the Trial version as the CD keys can't be entered on the trial.
    Last edited by jtaubman; 23-09-09, 08:07.
    Jane
    Family Historian User Group : My Family History : My Photography
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Comment

Thanks - this is very helpful indeed
      I've downloaded PSPad and started looking at my gedcom file in it.
      If you could take me through how to do a search and replace then I'd be grateful...I'm perfectly able to do it in Word or notepad but this seems different.

I have lines such as:

1 SEX M
      1 BIRT
      2 DATE BEF 3 SEP 1832
      2 PLAC Swaby, LIN

which I want to read as:

1 SEX M
      1 BAPT
      2 DATE 3 SEP 1832
      2 PLAC Swaby, LIN

etc but I can't make it happen for every instance in the file. What have I missed?

Thanks again - if I can make this happen then there's no question - FTM will go.
      Kind regards,
      William

Comment

Sorry slight red herring there. You can do it in PSPAD with a plug in, but it's probably easier to use Nodesoft - Search And Replace

Just remember to make sure it only does the one GEDCOM file (it was designed to do whole directories and simply replace

1 BIRT
        2 DATE BEF

with

1 BAPT
        2 DATE

As always with any jobs like this MAKE A SAFE copy first and do an FH file/validate afterwards
        Jane
        Family Historian User Group : My Family History : My Photography
        "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Comment

After a few false starts, it is done - thankyou very much indeed for your explanations!!
          FH4 here I come!
          Kind regards,
          William

Comment

Working...
          X