Origin of the family/name Pankoff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Origin of the family/name Pankoff?

Is there anybody having the same family name and already having some information on it? My name is Pankoff, I live in Bulgaria. This is not a slavonic name, but the only information I could find was for Herman Pankowv ( Pankow and later Pankoff ). Any relation to the "pan" which is polish/lithuanian/teutonic title?

Thanks!

Hi. I'm in Australia and there are a number with the spelling of Pankoff in the Australian Archives from Germany and the Ukraine. There are also variations in the White Pages telephone book including Pankow, Pankowska, Pankowski....
    RecordSearch - National Archives of Australia
    whitepages.com.au - Search for an Australian Business, Government or Person
    There was a place called Pankow near Berlin which came under Prussia, German Empire, in 1899.

Comment

My F.I.L. was from the Ukraine.....my wife tells me that the Ukraine family ....is
      Piankoff.....note the I....NOT Pankoff.....so I have just checked this out....during WW2 the Ukranians fought FOR the Germans because Russia had gone into the Ukraine and as Germany was fighting Russia.....all the Ukranian men joined the Germans......when they became prisoners of war and the war ended they were given the choice to go back to Ukraine or stay in British territory....so as you can imagine Britain,Canada,Australia ,New Zealand received about 80,000 Ukranian soldiers....those who went back to the Ukraine were shot or sent to Siberia....so I have just checked the Australian link thru GR...and the only family on there are PIANKOFF.....I would think this is just a variation of the same family...interestingly my F.I.L. was born in Rohatyn...over the last 100 years this has been Poland Germany Ukraine Poland Ukraine....it`s a small section of land that`s moved from pillar to post.....so it would appear the Pankoff clan are from this area too....if you go to mapquest and search for
      ROHATYN / ROGATYN....in the Ukraine you will see the area I am refering to....there is a very interesting site Ukraine Channel: Travel, Culture, Society, Area Guides, Forums, Blogs and there is a professor from Kiev University on there who will gladly help with any queries.....the best of luck, and if I can help with any research,let me know.....allan;)
      Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
      oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
      adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
      merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
      coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Allan, Naomi, thank you so much for your assistance in this thread, this was really precious information. I will be looking into contacting this professor, I hope he will have a minute of his time to deal with my issues...
        Any other input shall be appreciated!

Comment

Working...
        X