royal navy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• royal navy

Can anyone tell me if the Royal navy would have accepted a lad of 12, I know lots of kids ran away and went to sea but not sure if the royal navy would accept a child so young.
    Also were do you right to to apply for navy records?
    appreciate any help.
    Thanks
    GWEN

I think it would depend on how far back you are - I doubt they would check in the 19th century, esp if he looked older.

My uncle told porkies to join up in WWII, he was only 15, so they couldn't have checked. (I think you had to be 17 then)
    Vicky

Comment

He could have joined a Royal Navy Training ship at about the age of 12. Many boys did this back in the 19 century, particularly if they came from poor backgrounds. "Shaftesbury Training Ships" was one such organisation. This training would have led on to the Royal Navy when older so yes technically he could have joined the RN age 12.

Of course if he was from a better off family then the College at Greenwich and later Dartmouth would have provided training facilities for boys going into the RN and youcan google those institutions.

There is a website devoted to training ships at:

Old Navy records are at TNA Kew up to 1922. After 1922 you have to write to the MOD, proving next of kin after completion of a form and £30. Used to be at Hayes, Middlesex but may now be at Portsmouth. Google Navy MOD to find correct address.

Janet
      Last edited by Janet; 22-09-09, 10:10.

Comment

Way back, they took boys of 7!

OC

Comment

The person I am talking about was born in 1897, and I found his RN record on NA site and it stated he joined in 1914 when he was 16. I found him on the 1911 census living with his uncle. So I think may be the story that he joined when he was 12 cannot be true and he must have joined after that.
          Thanks for your comments and off to look at the training web site.
          GWEN

Comment

Jack Cornwell won his VC and was killed at the battle of Jutland, aged just 16.

Comment

Working...
            X