Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed please

Good evening,
    I am trying to find David and Ann Midlam/Medlam on the 1851 census.
    David was born c. 1801 and Ann c. 1810 both in Yorkshire. I have them on the 1841 and this is where the above info. comes from. By 1841 they have two children- Mary Ann bc. 1831, Sheffield and Aaron bc. 1833, Sheffield. In 1841 they are living in Bradgate, Rotherham, Yorkshire.
    I am searching the other census' for them too.
    Thanks
    Tessie
    Last edited by tessie31082; 23-09-09, 15:24.

I can't see them on the 1851 either. They are missed off or the name is mis-transcribed or they changed their name for some reason! Ahhhhhh!!!! I am going to see if there is anyone on Ancestry tree's.
    Tessie

Comment

sorry, have looked too, only thing I can tell you is that David was baptised in Greasborough in 1801 and aaron died in 1873 in the sheffield registration district - david died 1860 in the rotherham registration district. There is a death for a HANNAH Medlam in 1852 in the rotherham area. Hope that helps a little

Comment

Hi, those deaths look promising. I didn't know what reg. dist. rotherham came under so couldn't work out deaths! What is the reg. district?
        Thanks very much champagnegal!
        Tessie

Comment

Rotherham is a registration district. The rural area around Rotherham used to be Rother Valley. Greasborough would come under Rotherham.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

In 1841 they are living in Bradgate, Rotherhithe, Yorkshire.
            Is there a Rotherhithe in Yorks as well as the one in London?

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Think its probably rotherham

Comment

Yes sorry, meant rotherham!!
                Tessie
                P.s Have changed original post to rotherham
                Last edited by tessie31082; 23-09-09, 15:25.

Comment

I had a look at the Rotherham BMD site, but I don't think the transcriptions extend to what you're after - or, not yet, anyway.

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Tessie,in the Sheffield Records Online,the following details....

Aaron Medlam (blacksmith),aged 38, died 25th April 1873, buried 28th April 1873 in the Sheffield General Cemetery.
                    His residence was Crown Lane,Duke Street,Park.
                    Grave no G3 113

Can't see the others anywhere.

Comment

Hi Astro lady, I hadn't found that thanks, I knew he had died and got that from free BMD and I know he was living with his sister and brother in law on the 1871 census! I will be off to have a look at those records as I have other family in that area. Thanks everyone for your help

Comment

The Hannah who died in 1852 was age 10, buried 7th March Kimberworth St Thomas.
                        Two entries for David buried 30th December 1860. Age 60 Rotherham Moorgate Cemetery & age 66 Rotherham All Saints.
                        Moggie

Comment

I think I may have found him in 1851.
                          David Modlam age 48 marrried born Greasbro Rothm farm labourer.With a housekeeper Hannah Hayne age 49 born Thorp Rothm. I can't make out if she is married or single. Ref 2344/104/5
                          Moggie

Her surname could be Hague. Very hard to read the writing.
                          Last edited by maudarby; 23-09-09, 13:03.

Comment

That could well be them, however it says Hannah is married yet she is down as a housekeeper! I cannot find Mary Ann the daughter on this census nor Aaron her brother, also Mary-Ann married my OH's ggg grandad in 1853 and I can't find him on this census either! Off to have another look, but that is the closest one yet for these two!
                            Thanks Maudarby
                            Tessie

Comment

Just found David and Hannah's marriage, her maiden name is Lee, so that can't be them in 1851! :(
                              Tessie

Comment

Hi Tessie
                                Where did you find the marriage?
                                Moggie

Comment

Hi Tessie
                                  What if Hannah left David & that is why he is down as married & has a housekeeper in 1851?
                                  Take a look at the James family in 1841 & 1851

1841 living at Kimberworth.
                                  Benjamin James age 30
                                  Elizah James age 30
                                  Mariah James age 8
                                  Sarah James age 6
                                  Ann James age 4
                                  Emmah James age 3
                                  Isabellah James age 1

1851 living in Sheffield
                                  Benjamin James age 39 born Bradgate
                                  Hannah James age 41 born Doncaster
                                  Maria James age 21 born Kimberworth
                                  Mary A James age 17 born Kimberworth
                                  Aaron James age 15 born Kimberworth
                                  Isabella James age 11 born Kimberworth

I think Sarah & Ann from the 1841 are working as servants, can't find Emmah.

What do you think? In 1861 Benjamin's birthplace is given as Kimberworth.
                                  Moggie

PS
                                  Just found the burial of Eliza James age 35 on 2nd Oct 1844 at Kimberworth St Thomas.
                                  Last edited by maudarby; 23-09-09, 18:02.

Comment

Hi Moggie, that is not them as I have Mary Ann and Aaron after 1851! However, I hadn't thought about the parents being split! I thought I had their deaths but it might not be them, just coincidence of the name and place! I got the marriage from the IGI!
                                    Tessie

Comment

Hi Tessie
                                      It still could be them & they reverted back to the surname Medlam after 1851.
                                      Moggie

Comment

ooh, didn't think of that!!
                                        Tessie

Comment

Working...
                                        X