Polly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polly?

By chance I've come across a woman called Polly (born late 1700s) , who might fit into my family tree. I know Polly was sometimes a given name, but if it was a nickname, what was her real name?

Thanks for any ideas you can come up with!
    Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Polly is often a diminutive of Mary - my mum (Mary) was Polly, and my great gran (Mary Emma) was Polly too.

OC

Comment

usually mary.

Comment

Thank you for such rapid responses. Now I'm wondering how one gets from Mary to Polly? I wonder if it's a reference to some long-forgotten nursery rhyme...
        Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

Mary
          Mally
          Molly
          Polly

OC

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

I was going to say Mary, as my gg aunt Mary Ann was known as Polly
              Lynn

Comment

Sal,

It is usually for Mary Ann,

Peter

Comment

All my Pollys were Mary Ann, my Sallys were Sarah and Jinnys were Jane.

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

My Mary Ann was called Polly. That one took me ages to work out

Linda

Comment

Mine was a Mary Charlotte, the biggest surprise was that the nasty old lady who my aunt remembered lived with her was in fact Polly's sister.

Comment

Working...
                      X