Roots Magic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roots Magic

I've been using a free trial version of Roots Magic version 4, and so far I like what I've seen and I'm tempted to cough up and buy the full version. Does anyone have any comments, either negative or positive, about this software?
    Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Hello Sal,

I too like Roots Magic, the main drawbacks that I have found are the charts and the way it handles photos, but the programme does have a nice 'feel' and the screens have a nice crisp look. As I seem to have a lot of duplicate names that aren't related in my tree I like the way I am warned when I type in these duplicates. There is now a UK Forum though it isn't very active, the people on the American forum are always very helpful, I believe that there is also a forum on Roots Web.

If you buy from the English supplier in Chilmark you will get a UK version with 'English' spelling, if you don't want the 'free' research discs that come with the various grades of programmes go for the cheapest option or a download, the actual programme will be the same.

The Version 4 book is now out which I find easier to use than the on screen help.

Margaret (also in Somerset)
    Margaret

Comment

That's really helpful, thank you.
      Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

You might like to also try out V4 of Family Historian, to see which suits you best. You don't get all the "research" disks, or a UK edition, but you do get a UK written program and an active user group if you get stuck.
        Jane
        Family Historian User Group : My Family History : My Photography
        "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Comment

hello sal ive tried most of them and still go back to family tree maker ive had them all and i think the 2006 is still the best they all waffle on about what they can do none of them do every thing right its about time they sorted them out trouble is they are all geared to the americans i would like them to have better tree charts and title and occupation next to their name yours john
          ps thanks for your help

Comment

Use more than one prog

Having been brought up on FTW ( Version 4 or earlier ) - I got to V16 and switched to Vista . Avoided newer versions based on negative feedback and then found probs downloading ( there is a patch for Vista but this was prior to it coming out ) Had used Roots Magic V3 and updated to V4 - superb and FTW compatible ! So slick - accepting FTW with no probs . Narratives fantastic but charts poor . Answer ? Now work using both progs to produce a great end result . A further step is using The Compleat Genealogy Reporter - a great way to present your research by importing gedcoms .

Cheers
            Col

Comment

Working...
            X