Divorce in 1820's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Divorce in 1820's?

Was wondering if divorce was common in the 1820's in London. My gr gr gr grandmother supposedly "ran off" to London with my gr gr gr grandfather Baker leaving behind her husband and 3 children in Staffordshire. She uses the Baker name when my gr gr grandfather is baptised in 1833 but when she dies in 1839, the only record I can find is for her with her original married surname! Have ordered this certificate to check out details but would it have been uncommon for her not to have divorced and remarried, rather just taken her new "partners name"?
    Pity she died before the census records!!!

Poor mum is rather horrified that we may be "illegitimate"! I think it rather adds to the excitment!

Annette
    oakes63 passed away in September 2021

Divorce was extremely difficult and expensive in the 1820s and each divorce required a separate Act of Parliament, so I think it is almost certain she just ran off with the new bloke and pretended to be married to him. Happened all the time.

OC

Comment

Thanks OC

That's what I thought. Shame she left the other 3 children behind. She then had another 6 before she died!

Annette
      oakes63 passed away in September 2021

Comment

Annette

She couldn't have taken the children with her. Children belonged to their fathers then and a woman had absolutely no rights at all where her children were concerned.

OC

Comment

Working...
        X