Another brickwall to try and knock down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another brickwall to try and knock down

I have on the 1901 census RG13-44-6 my relative Emily Jane Wildish and her husband Frank Harold Unicume correct spelling but transcribed as 'Umcenne'

Frank H Unicume was born approx 1876 in Cranbrook according to that census.

Emily Jane and her Children all went by boat to Australia i allready have this information, but her husdand did not travel with her at that time .
    this is from my WDYTYA thread.

Yay i have found Emily Jane and her family leaving London for Adelaide in 1914.
    I note her Husband is not among the passanger list .
    They left on the ship Borda
    Steamship listed as P&O Branch Service, to Australia via the Cape.
    Departure 17th Sep 1914

Official Number: BORDA
    Masters Name:G A Millington
    P & O Branch Service
    Australia
    Square feet:21510
    Registered Tonnage:7036
    Passengers on Voyage:974

Person: Mrs Emily J UNICUME
    Date of departure: 16 September 1914
    Port of departure: London
    Destination port: Australia
    Destination country: Australia
    Ship: BORDA

+ Children
    Daisy Unicume 2
    David 6
    Frederick 10
    Jesse 4
    Lillian Gladys 15
    May G.K. 7

Now the problem is what happened to Frank Harold as i cant find a Divorce/Death or any other reason he did not go with them. The family say he was not a good husband but i have no proof of that .
    was he called up as they left for Oz around the outbreak of war as the boat was requesitioned for the Aus. Military transport.
    Can anyone find his death .?
    Bare in mind there have been several version of the surname surface
    Unicume/Umcenne/Unicome.

Peter

I can't find him in UK Military Record Collection or Incoming Passenger lists on Ancestry nor outgoing ones on FMP.

I also don't see him on NSW deaths up to 1978.

They are still in Cranbrook 1911 census. Children are Frederick Charles, Jesse, Leslie, Lily Gladys and May. That's 1 name different to the kids on the boat to Australia. Are Leslie and David the same child who had 2 forenames?
    Last edited by GallowayLass; 21-09-09, 11:51. Reason: addition

Comment

Not sure I can help with Frank, but my g-grandfather Jim Eccles and his four children, Jimmy, Edith, Emily and George came out on the same voyage of the BORDA, leaving behind wife and mother Edith H Eccles and oldest son Christopher.

It would have been difficult for anyone who was meant to follow to join family in Australia until after the end of the war, i would think. But possibly a good way to end a bad marriage !

The reason usually given is that Edith stayed behind with Christopher while he did National Service, but right at the beginning of WW1, this does not make any sense. They were not living together in the 1911 census. Edith remarried as a widow in 1918, with no sign of a divorce. Jim in Australia, did not remarry until after her 1923 death.

Di
      Diane
      Sydney Australia
      Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Thank you Di,

I would never have thought that someone else on FTF would have had relations on that same ship, that is amazing .

Yes David and Leslie i think are the same child, i have been given all the details of the childrens marraiges in Australia by Macbev.

It Frank who is proving elusive from 1911 onwards. My mum does not know if he ever went to Oz as it seems Emily was looking for a new life out there.

Peter

Comment

Isn't it amazing who and what you can find on FTF. Somewhere in my family tree I have also run across the name UNICOMB, can remember where just now !!

There's an F.Unicome 28y, of Kent, who went to Sydney via Melbourne as a crew member aboard the ship Macedonia in 1906 - do you know what occupation he had in 1911 ? On the ship's crew list he is listed as "Supy 2nd mate", which I take to mean Supernumeray. Is there another F Unicume from Kent who this might be, or was there only the one ?

Here's the link (not sure if you need an ancestry sub to view it)
          - Ancestry.com.au

I will look and see if I can find further records of F Unicome the sailor

Di
          Diane
          Sydney Australia
          Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

I have Ancestry membership but that must be UK/USA as i it comes up that i need an account , sadly.

My Frank Unicume was a Railway Plate Layer in the last census is saw him on.

Yes that name does exist a lot in the Kent area a high percentage come from Cranbrook area of Kent .

Seeing as there are so many variations of the name maybe why i cant trace him.

Allthough not connected directly to this family but on the Paternal side i have a missing husband too In 1911 he is not with his wife and child as they are with her parents , but the husband just cant be found on the census .
            this time though in England .

Peter

Comment

Bump

Still trying to find Frank Harold Unicume as previously noted he is not on any inward or outward bound passenger lists, i cant find a death /divorce,military service .

He must be somewhere its 1914 and he was a railway platelayer , would he have been a reserved occupation ? otherwise he would have been called up as he would have been in his 30 's .
              One big brick wall as the youngest child was 2 when his wife and children left for Oz without him .
              She never re married and kept his surmane till her death .

Peter

Comment

Peter,
                Have you tried prison records? (not that I'm implying anything!) Or local newspapers to see if he's mentioned?

It depends what people mean when they say he wasn't a good husband!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Stenning View Post
                  Bump

Still trying to find Frank Harold Unicume as previously noted he is not on any inward or outward bound passenger lists, i cant find a death /divorce,military service .

He must be somewhere its 1914 and he was a railway platelayer , would he have been a reserved occupation ? otherwise he would have been called up as he would have been in his 30 's .
                  One big brick wall as the youngest child was 2 when his wife and children left for Oz without him .
                  She never re married and kept his surmane till her death .

Peter
                  Conscription wasn't brought in until January 1916 and then it was only for single men aged between 18 and 41.

In May 1916 that was widened to include married men
                  Jackie

Comment

By bad husband i did not mean bad in the sense of criminal or even violence , but generally not treating his wife well , whatever that may entail as this was information past down to me ,but then that seems a bit wrong when you see the amount of children they had.

Just that despite all sorts of searches name wise i have not found him.

Comment

ooooohh

praps she had him done away with? and then emigrated to stop her getting caught?
                      Julie
                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Could he have gone out before her to find a place to live and a job?

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Working...
                        X