Make writing legible please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make writing legible please

This isn't a photo, but I'm hoping you can use your photo expertise to help me. I'm trying to read the red writing next to the name "Pitman Joseph", but it would be so much easier if it was darker. Can anyone do something to help, please? I've posted it as a link to the website so you can have it at the best resolution possible.

Archives Office of Tasmania – digitised record

I don't mind what it looks like, I just want to be able to read it! (I've tried turning the jpeg into a negative, which helped a bit, but I'm sure you must have better ideas).

Thanks, scuda
    Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Don't know if this will help Scuda....
    Jen

Researching: Brandon.London/M/cr. Tyson.France/Mcr.

Comment

B & W version......sorry, I can't read it....poor eyesight.

Jen

Comment

You can enlarge in Windows photos Scuda, it does show up bigger
        Jen

Comment

Thanks for trying, Jen, but it just pixellates when I try enlarging it. Looks promising, though (especially the colour one). Would you be able to send me a higher resolution version if I sent you my email address?

scuda
          Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Yes I'll try it for you Scuda. Don't mind at all.
            Jen

Comment

you can enlarge it actually on the page where it is located.. there is a zoom bit at the top and I can read some of it very well.

Transp for .... a pocket ........ prayer book from Mary ? ...... Vic. Gaol ....
              Bad connect .... .... refectory stole a book from public works single. Stated this offence, ............. money from my cousin.single. Surgeons rep’t Behaved well.

thats about as much as I can read, sorry.
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks for the emailed image, Jen, and your transcription, Julie. I'm still stuck on the vital bit though - the name that I think is hidden in the top line " ...prayer book from ..... " I agree that Mary is the first name, but I just can't make out the couple of words following it, and presumably one is her surname. As he apparently says she's his cousin, finding her name would help with confirming Joseph's identity.

Any more ideas?

scuda

Comment

The word after Mary.....looks like Kate to me Scuda.
                  Jen

Comment

i think it says mary nole.

Comment

The word after Mary.....looks like Kate to me Scuda.
                      I see what you mean, but I don't think so - I think the join on the second letter comes from the top, making it an "o". The only word I can make from it is "Note" but I don't think it's right.

scuda

Comment

we posted at the same time! does mary nole ring any bells? cant read the image well, but thats about the only word i can read!

Comment

i think it says mary nole.
                          Well, that's not far off my idea, which I typed before seeing your post, so perhaps we're getting there. I can't actually see a cross on the third letter, so an "l" is more likely than a "t".

Thanks

scuda

Comment

transp for st b? pocket book prayer book from mary nole ? vic gaol ? bad connect? stack/stuck? refrectory stole a book from public works. single stated this offence st? money from my cousin single.

i cant get much more than julie. have you thought of contacting the tasmanian archives and asking them to rescan it or photocopy it?

Comment

the 'n' from nole seems to attach to the 'l' in the same word.

Comment

It looks like Mary Pole to me.

Anne

Comment

It looks like Mary Pole to me.
                                  Yes, it could be. Seems to be _ole, anyway. Nole, Pole, etc don't mean anything to me, but if she's, say, a married cousin I might not have encountered the name so far. At least I've a few names to try now. Thanks everyone.

scuda

Comment

Transp....for Pocket book ..Prayer book, promisary note, Gaol keys Bad connecext Hulk Refactory
                                    Both from Public Works.. Single Stated this offence at... Money from my cousin
                                    Single
                                    Surgeon rept behaved well..

Not yet made sense of it
                                    Last edited by colin taylor; 21-09-09, 13:01.

Comment

Ah, yes. Colin could be right! It is a list of three things he stole. Pocket book, prayer book and promisary note (like a cheque, so possibly the most serious of the three).

Anne

Comment

Yes, Anne, I agree, Colin's got it right. "Promisary Note" not "from Mary Nole". So I won't find his cousin's name after all. I think Hulk is right, too, presumably something to do with where he was held before the long trip south.

Thanks Colin. You've saved me from fruitless Ancestry searches for Mary Nole.

scuda

Comment

Working...
                                        X