Death "due to war operations"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death "due to war operations"

A question for all you clever people out there.
    My Great Grandfather died in Packington Street Islington (no number) on the 14th October 1940. This was of course during the middle of the Blitz. His cause of death is stated on the death certificate as being "due to war operations". I always assumed this meant that he was caught in a bomb blast but my OH thinks that " enemy action " would have been put down on the certifcate instead. Could this mean he was caught up in friendly fire or killled by a british plane crashing? Any ideas ?:conf:

Looks as if it may be a government phrase used to refer to enemy action during the blitz.
    This article deals with it, problem is that its pay per view.

It's also hinted at here, but sadly it's only a snippet view.
    Last edited by keldon; 21-09-09, 08:58.
    Phil
    historyhouse.co.uk
    Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Is his name on the CWGC website? There are plenty of civilians listed there and sometimes you can work out who else might have died in the same incedent.

Anne

Comment

Here's a little more info which may help. See paragraph: Second World War
        Powered by Google Docs
        Phil
        historyhouse.co.uk
        Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Thank you so much Phil,
          I now understand that it is a stock standard phrase to cover anyone killed as a result of enemy action and not requiring a post mortem e.g air raid victims.
          Anne, thank you.
          You are right. I have checked the CWGC website and he is listed . I would have never thought to look for a civillian death there.
          Family Tree Forum comes to the rescue again!

Comment

can also add to look for local history of the area on line as them might me some thing about the night.

i know london is a big place but there will always be story around about what happen on such and such a night.
            always worth look and keep come back to it
            wye surrey/london/birmingham
            lawrence/laurence berkshire/london/norfolk
            hall harrison cook/e pratt surrey
            ebbage maltby pratt norfolk
            herbert pratt yorkshire/hampshire
            armstrong/rickinson/harrison/beddington yorkshire

Comment

There were a few deaths in Packington St on both the 14th and 15th October. Some at no 44 and some at no 48
              The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
              Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Working...
              X