Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why can't I find Albert and Edith Susan's marriage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why can't I find Albert and Edith Susan's marriage?

This is another query on the Smith family. Albert Smith (born Capel 1860) married an Edith Susan at sometime ahead of the 1911 census, where it says they were married less than a year. Was it perhaps that they married outside the country or even abroad, as I am told that its possible Edith had money in her own right.

For the sake of completeness this is an extract of what appears in the 1911 census

Smith Albert 50 boot dealer Capel Surrey
    Smith Edith Susan married under 1 year 34 Leatherhead, Surrey
    Smith Lilias 15 (my GM) 15, Leatherhead Surrey

Your help would be much appreciated

is Lilas his or hers? might help wth her MMN
    Jess

Comment

Originally posted by Jessbowbag View Post
      is Lilas his or hers? might help wth her MMN
      Lilias is the daughter of Albert with his first wife Helen Bick who died in 1904.

Comment

wonder if anyone can spot Wife edith susan in 1901 in her former name -not having a lot of luck with Albert smith, marred surrey 1910 - 1912
        Jess

Comment

Am I being a bit dim? What was Edith susan's maiden name?

Comment

this seems likely:

Marriages Dec 1909
            KNIGHT, Edith Susanna- Godstone/ 2a/ 417

only one on the page, but godstone was transferred to south eastern surrey in 1934, and south eastern surrey had capel in it's district.

but only if they married near his birth town. i see in 1911 they are in epsom, and there are no marriages in epsom district. i think maybe they havnt transcribed the marriages yet. have you looked for edith susan's marrying in surrey in 1909 in ancestry?

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
              this seems likely:

Marriages Dec 1909

only one on the page, but godstone was transferred to south eastern surrey in 1934, and south eastern surrey had capel in it's district.

but only if they married near his birth town. i see in 1911 they are in epsom, and there are no marriages in epsom district. i think maybe they havnt transcribed the marriages yet. have you looked for edith susan's marrying in surrey in 1909 in ancestry?
              Hi

I have looked in ancestry for a marriage in 1909 but haven't been able to find one. This seems to be a very likely marriage, though I see the 1911 census has Edith Susan born in Leatherhead. Would Edith Knight have been born in Godstone?

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                this seems likely:

Marriages Dec 1909

Have checked the complete images on Ancestry and there is no registration for an Albert Smith in 1909 4th quarter - so I would think this one is probably not what you are looking for.
                Elaine

Comment

Do you know if Edith and Albert had any children - if so names and approx ages might help pinpoint Edith's maiden name.
                  Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                    Do you know if Edith and Albert had any children - if so names and approx ages might help pinpoint Edith's maiden name.
                    One girl, Sybil but all I know is that she died before her mother. For all I know she may have been the product of a previous marriage, ie Albert not being her father. My Mum tells me that she once visited her 'no nonsense' step grandmother, in a huge house on the outskirts of Leatherhead and Sybil wasn't there then, but she could have been away at school. I am not being much help am I, but I don't really know :smilee:

Comment

can anyone see a Sybil, born surrey with a mother edith, in 1901?

its a long shot ....boy I miss ancestry!
                      Jess

Comment

This might be what you are looking for:

Marriages Sep 1910
                        SMITH Albert
                        WHITELAND Edith S.
                        Thanet 2a 2203

birth Sep 1911
                        SMITH Sybil E. mmn WHITELAND
                        Epson 2a 84

Hope that helps.

Comment

wow! how did you find that sussexpat?

Comment

I started by looking for a Sybil Smith born in Epson after 1909. There was only one and with a middle initial E which could have been Edith. I then worked backwards using her mothers maiden name. I knew there were no matches in Epson so I searched all districts.

Comment

cant believe i didnt think of that!

Comment

well done Pat :smilee:

hopefully, now she will be able to get that cert
                                Julie
                                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks for all your efforts.

Comment

Working...
                                  X