Can anyone find this church please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone find this church please?

In 1848 my GGGGrandparents married in The Belgian Chapel in the district of St. George the Martyr in Southwark. The were living just off Union Street which is near The Borough.

I can't find any reference to the whereabouts of the Chapel. Can anyone help please

Thanks

Linda

Well, it certainly existed as there are several references to people being baptised there (google). It was Roman Catholic, if that makes any difference?

OC

Comment

Hi OC

Yes on the wedding certificate is says Married in the Belgian Chapel according to the Rights and Ceremonies of the Roman Catholics.

Didn't know that they were RC's till I got the cert. but then found that they came from Ireland. None of their children married in a RC Church though.

Would have liked to have known where it was.

Linda

Comment

It would have been the Belgian chapel in the RC parish church, surely? Is St Geo the Martyr a RC church?

I'll see what I can find in the morning, too tired to do anything sensible now!

OC

Comment

Thanks very much OC..

Would appreciate some help

Linda

Comment

Hi again OC

I think I have found the church after you saying about the parish church.

I googled the The Parish Church of St. George The Martyr and the church is almost opposite the road they were living in at the time of marriage. It also says Denomination Church of England earlier Roman Catholic. Didn't know that ever happened!!

Strange coincidence is the church is on the corner of a road I worked in for four years back in the seventies before I started all this family tree interest.

Thanks

Linda

Comment

St George's Cathedral is the RC one, St George the Martyr is C of E.

Comment

Hi Jill,

Thanks for looking.

I am not sure this IS the one as my family got married there on 28th April 1848 and trhe following quote says.....

The original cathedral was opened in 1848 and was the first Roman Catholic cathedral built in the UK since the reformation. It was designed by Augustus Pugin, famous for his work with Charles Barry on the design of the rebuilt Houses of Parliament. Pugin was the first person to be married in the cathedral on 10 August 1848 to his third wife Jane. The cathedral was badly bombed during World War II and the rebuilt cathedral was opened in 1958.

Linda

Comment

There was this correspondence about the Belgian Chapel on Roorsweb RootsWeb: ENG-SURREY-L Re: [SRY] Belgian Chapel Southwark? which may help.
                  Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thanks so much Judith. That's the one.

My GGGGrandparents were married by Jeremiah Cotter too

Thanks very much to everyone

Linda

Comment

In the newspapers it's various described as
                      St George's Fields, Southwark, or London Road, Southwark

"...London Road; it is called the Belgian Chapel, but it is of such small dimensions, that very serious accidents have occurred through the crushing of dense crowds within its narrow interior."
                      The Morning Chronicle (London, England), Saturday, November 14, 1840
                      Phil
                      historyhouse.co.uk
                      Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Thanks Phil,

That's very interesting

Linda

Comment

Working...
                        X