Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery George from the LMA

Hi

Like a lot of you I have had great fun over the past few days finding lots of new info about relatives from the LMA records on Ancestry. However, I have one mystery which I can't seem to solve and wonder if you guys can help me sort it out?

My grandfather was George Edwin Sexton, b. Dec 1906 in Bermondsey. I have his family on the 1911 census - his father was William George and his mother was Emily Louise Sexton. He had brothers Albert and Frederick and a sister Elizabeth Eleanor. William listed on the census return that they had 5 children born alive - 4 still alive, 1 dead. There are 4 children listed on the census so - so far so good.

Now, according to the LMA baptism records, I can find 2 children who are listed as William and Emily's children.

1) Alice Emily, bap. 21 Jun 1899 St Barnabus (although the register says St Katherine's!) Rotherhithe.

I found her birth (1898) and death (1899) details on free BMD.

2) George William, bap. 19 Dec 1899 St Barnabus, Rotherhithe. Apart from the LMA baptism records I can find no trace of him (no births or deaths). My grandfather was a George too so I would expect that he died some time before December 1906. He is not listed with the family on the 1911 census ... although there is a 3 year old George Sexton who is visiting a family of Garrat's in 1911. It is not a name I recognise but I don't know too much about Emily Louise's family (her maiden name was Thomas).

Can anyone please help me? I don't understand why I can't find his birth / death in the normal records (I can't see how to search all the quarters now on Ancestry - can anyone help?) and why he is not listed as one of their children on the 1911 census. I presume that the vicar did list the correct parents ...? (My great grandfather got my grandfather's middle name wrong so could this have just been a mistake on his part?)

Thanks in advance ...
    :D Charney Jo

OK, just had a thought. The birth of my grandad's brother Albert (Albert William George Sexton) is listed on freebmd as Jan-Mar 1900. I have searched the baptism records for St Katherine's for 1900 and cannot find an Albert (although I appreciate that he may not have been baptised that year).

Could Albert and George William be one and the same????

Thanks ... Off to bed to clear my head now!!

Comment

Possible I know someone who was registered as William John but known as Rob because he was baptised as Robin.

Comment

Thanks Jac. I think I will assume it is the same person as it tallies with the number of children his father gave on the 1911 census.

Comment

Why are you so certain that Alice Emily was baptised at St Barnabas, if the register says "St Katherine's". I can't see how that's likely. You have a church register and enter the baptisms that are celebrated there. It's a requirement of the church. Isn't it more likely that Alice was baptised at St Katherine's for some reason? Maybe they moved house, and between the two events, and that meant a change of parish?

Christine

Another thought... Was St Katherine's a daughter church in the parish of St Barnabas? In that case, the baptism was celebrated in St Katherine's, but the parish is St Barnabas.
          Last edited by Christine in Herts; 21-09-09, 22:28.
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
            Why are you so certain that Alice Emily was baptised at St Barnabas, if the register says "St Katherine's". I can't see how that's likely. You have a church register and enter the baptisms that are celebrated there. It's a requirement of the church. Isn't it more likely that Alice was baptised at St Katherine's for some reason? Maybe they moved house, and between the two events, and that meant a change of parish?

Christine

Another thought... Was St Katherine's a daughter church in the parish of St Barnabas? In that case, the baptism was celebrated in St Katherine's, but the parish is St Barnabas.
            I think this is due to one of the transcription hiccups. The indexing says St Barnabus but the image of the register page shows it was St Katherine. I have similar situation where Ancestry have listed a baptism in Pentonville to a church in Southwark.
            Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Hmmm ... I answered this earlier but my post has now gone :-(

Yes, Judith, it is an ancestry transcription error. The resgisters clearly state St Katherine's but ancestry has them as St Barnabus.

I have since looked back at my notes and Albert was 1 month old in the 1901 census (taken in May) so he couldn't be the one who was baptised in 1899. Hmmmm .. how can I have an 'extra' child for the family??

Comment

Working...
              X