Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Someone has given an alternative surname to my Grandma on 1901 Census!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone has given an alternative surname to my Grandma on 1901 Census!

I've just contacted Ancestry to see if they can remove an alternative surname that's been added to my grandma Sarah Jane Davis and 2 of her siblings, Eliza and Dora on the 1901 census in Bristol.

The original errors are bad enough without somebody adding more!

Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 2373; Folio: 53; Page: 1.

Lydia DAVIS is not the wife of Hy Robt CLARKS. She is the wife of William Davis. I have their marriage certificate to prove.

Henry Robert’s surname is CLAKE and he seems to be a relative of the family…although as yet I have been unable to trace any Marriage certificate to prove the relationship. Census states that William Davis, my Gt Grandfather, is his nephew.

Sarah Jane DAVIS was my Grandma and I have her BDM’s and that of her siblings on this record.

Someone, not me, has put in CLARKS as an alternative surname name for Eliza Mary Davis, Sarah Jane Davis and Dova Davis (which should be Dora).

The rest of the Davis children do not have the alternative name of CLARKS added.
    teresa

Kathsgirl

Why don't you simply add a note to the relevant record, stating your counter argument?

I have a feeling that Ancestry won't actually remove any corrections made by other people as they don't have the time nor wherewithal to work out which one of you is correct.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
      Kathsgirl

Why don't you simply add a note to the relevant record, stating your counter argument?

I have a feeling that Ancestry won't actually remove any corrections made by other people as they don't have the time nor wherewithal to work out which one of you is correct.

OC
      I have done that too!

I wouldn't dream of changing a surname unless I new for sure that I was correct.

If they had looked at the original copy they could easily see that their surnames were Davis. Grrrrrr.
      teresa

Comment

Someone has added incorrect "corrections" to one of my families on the 1871 recently... the original transcription was dire enough, but this person has got everything completely muddled up and added a lot of very misleading information. I have the certs and parish record entries to prove their corrections are wrong, but no, it seems Ancestry won't do anything to remove what's been added. I did try messaging the "corrector" as well (very politely of course!) explaining their mistake, but as you can imagine, I got no response at all...

Comment

Working...
        X