Vanishing Family Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vanishing Family Help

OK I know my research skills are a bit rusty but I didn't think they had gone completely. I am trying to find the following family on any census. Can anyone help?

Thomas Haines b.1821 Islington, Middlesex married Elizabeth Ann Bentley Jul 1849. Occupation Musician.
    Thomas Edgar Haines b.30 Apr 1850 - Bap St Mary, Islington 18 Jan 1857 - address Upper Street, fathers occ Prof of Music
    Charles Ernest Haines b.01 Dec 1851 - Bap St Mary, Islington 18 Jan 1857 - address Upper Street, fathers occ Prof of Music
    Alfred Haines b.27 Jun 1857 - Bap St Mary, Islington26 Jul 1857 - address York Place, fathers occ Prof of Music
    Mary Ann Haines b.26 May 1859 - Bap St Mary, Islington 03 Jul 1859
    - address Britannia Place, fathers occ Teacher of Music

I don't know Elizabeths age as it only states "Full" on marriage cert.

They have to be somewhere, any ideas?

Thanks
    Vikki -
    Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

OK, Finally found Mary Ann Haines in 1883 marrying her cousin Alfred Albutt. Fathers occupation now listed as Licensed Victualler

have found Mary Ann in 1891 with her husband and children so she must be somewhere in 1861, 1871 and 1881.

Still no luck with the rest of them :(
    Vikki -

Comment

I've been looking as well Vikki - not having much luck though.
      Elaine

Comment

I can't find them either! Their surname must have been different or transcribed completely wrong!

Comment

flip! just read your thing about the licenced vic...I found a Thomas Haines with that occ...and now I need to remember which one and which year!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I can't find this family anywhere, sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by lisajj View Post
              flip! just read your thing about the licenced vic...I found a Thomas Haines with that occ...and now I need to remember which one and which year!!!!!!!!!
              I saw one too as an innkeeper and can't find it again now!!
              Margaret

Comment

Thanks for looking everyone

Think I have now found Alfred Haines in 1891 & 1901 living in Moss side Lancashire, Occupation Musician. He is married and living with wife Ellen (b.scotland) and children

Still no luck with the others :(
                Vikki -

Comment

Vikki,

do you think that they have all gone to scotland? have you looked there at all?
                  Julie
                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I have had a look on Scotlands People, there is only 1 match coming up for Thomas Haines and 1 for Elizabeth Haines on the 1871 census but when I narrow it down to both persons or even age range both matches go. I really don't want to buy credits without more hits
                    Vikki -

Comment

I had a look on ancestry, but couldnt see anything really..

I have also been looking into the misspellings, am currently looking at Hames... but not getting anywhere much.
                      Julie
                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Its just so frustrating.

I am guessing they left the country as it seems the only way to explain the complete lack of records. Also the fact that there is a large gap between the children

married in 1849
                        Thomas b1850
                        Charles b1851
                        Alfred b1857
                        Mary Ann b1859

Where were they / what were they doing between 1851 and 1857?

And then to turn up in 1883 for Mary Ann to get married :conf:

Ooooo second thoughts.......Prision??????
                        Vikki -

Comment

There's a Thomas Haines in 1891 born abt. 1872 England as a soldier and musician 1st Lancashire Fusiliers living in Maryhill Barracks, Glasgow

The other Thomas in Scotland 1891 is born abt. 1871 England and is a boarder with Samuel Owen and his family at 86 Milton Street, Dalziel, Lanarkshire. There is also a George Haines there born abt. 1862 England. They are both puddlers. Presumably they are brothers? A puddler operated a puddling or ball furnace in a an iron works.

There is a Thomas Haines on the 1861 census born abt. 1852 in Ireland living in George Watson's Hospital, Edinburgh. Presumably he was a patient.

I haven't found your 1871 references, I'll have another look.

Comment

Originally posted by vikki brace View Post
                            I have had a look on Scotlands People, there is only 1 match coming up for Thomas Haines and 1 for Elizabeth Haines on the 1871 census but when I narrow it down to both persons or even age range both matches go. I really don't want to buy credits without more hits
                            I had a couple of credits to spare so have looked at Scotlandspeople and the Thomas Haines on 1871 is age 19 and Elizabeth is age 15 so not yours.
                            Margaret

Comment

Were you searching on HAINES exact or with Soundex on?

Comment

Thanks for doing that Ladies. Not sure if I did an exact match, i'll just check and let you know

EDIT - just checked and I used exact match
                                Vikki -

Comment

Thanks for doing that Ladies. Not sure if I did an exact match, i'll just check and let you know

EDIT - just checked and I used exact match
                                  I did exact match too.
                                  Margaret

Comment

Working...
                                  X