Keevan shop at Hornsey London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keevan shop at Hornsey London

As part of my family tree my great grandad was the senior manager at Keevans mens outfitters and school uniforms at 86 Hornsey High St, London.
    It doesn't exist now although there were other branches ie Wood Green in London.
    I have seen a Keenens shop used in The Kinks "Come Dancing", video shot about 1983, which clearly shows a shop on a corner signed Keevans that I believe is the shop at number 86.
    It was a very imposing shop I believe and very old fashioned.

The link to the utube video is

Cut and paste this link into the web address place up the top and up it comes...Keevans shop starts about 1 minute in.

So if anyone could shed some light on my query I would be very grateful indeed.
    Thanks in advance
    Tony Palmer

I suppose you know there is still a school outfitters called Keevans in Tottenham? You could write and ask them about the company history.

Comment

I remember the one in Wood Green it was near/on the junction of Wood Green High Road and Lyminton Avenue N.22.

Comment

Someone remembers it

What's My Life? - Crouch End In the 70s

Comment

Hi Trina and James.
          Thats a helpful start, I cant believe I just asked and up you folks have replied pointing me in couple of directions.
          Intereting about Crouch End...why didn't I think of checking that out.
          I will give the other shops a bell on Monday for sure.
          You are so helpfull

Still hoping to identify which one the shop is in the video.

Thanks both......
          Tony Palmer in sunny Tamworth

Comment

Another idea is to do a search on Company's House and find the name of the Managing Director. He would be the best person to ask - you never know there may still be archives available, or they may have been deposited locally. Enquire at local history sections of libraries or the local archives.
            Can't help with the video, but perhaps the people who made it could?

Edit Oh loved the video - they don't make songs like that any more do they!
            Last edited by Trina; 20-09-09, 11:59.

Comment

Thanks Trina.....just been thinking possibly someone in the Kinks fan club might know.
              I totally agree about their music, its my time arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
              Mind you I am a "Steve Harley Cockney Rebel" man myself...showing my age

Interesting direction to go down Trina, roll on tomorrow for phone and emails.

Just thought I wonder if the the branches appear in Google maps " there are other maps"........ do I have to say lol.
              Might show if any are with the Keevan shops on the street corners that appear the same as in the video.

Tony
              Last edited by tglyn; 20-09-09, 12:05.

Comment

The Wood Green shop is long gone, Try Harringay Library

Comment

Thanks James...any idea however rough was the Wood Green shop open.. ie around 1983?
                  Just trying to nail it down if the video of Keevans was at Hornsey High St.
                  Thanks about Harringay
                  Cheers
                  Tony

Comment

No Idea when it went, It would probably be when they redeveloped the area, again Harringay library should have the information/photographs of the area.

I remember it from the 40's/50's

Comment

I found a website which gives a tour of London referencing Kinks sites. They mention the Keevan shop in Hornsey: Hornsey High Street, with junction of Hillfield Avenue
                      Here you will find Ellie's Studio, which used to be Keevan's, seen in the exterior shots in the Come Dancing video. (Leaded windows at the top still say "Outfitters".)

Linda
                      Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

My OH knows it well, it was on Hornsey High Street next to his school lol!

What do you want to know & I'll ask him if he remembers :smilee:

He says their recording studio was just around the corner from Keevans.

Joanie

Comment

Right OK.... The shop in the video is the one on the junction of Tottenham Lane & Topsfield Parade, in Crouch End, Hornsey. It isn't the High Street Hornsey one as that had a sweet shop next door to it :roll-eyes:

The Kinks recording studio was further up on Tottenham Lane, near Ribblesdale Road :smilee:

Oh and Keevans is still there on Topsfield Parade & is still open for business lol!

Joanie

Comment

Hi All
                            Tons of replies I thank you so much for them.

So it seems that the shop in the video isn't the one I was hoping for, the one in Hornsey High St ..shame as that is the one my gr grandad managed..

So I think a visit from Staffs to the smoke will be worth it to visit some libraries and hopefully find a photo.
                            I will still love to hear if anyone knows anything more though.

Thanks all again for your quick replies, soooooo helpfull.
                            Tony

Comment

if you go into google maps and use street view of Hornsey high street and Hillfield avenue you get the picture of Ellies studio - it looks similar to the shop in the video, have a look and see what you think.

Linda
                              Linda

Comment

I just watched the video again, and comparing the architecture of the building next door to Keevans it is definitely the one on the High Street Hillfield junction.

Linda
                                Linda

Comment

Hi Oz...."by George I think you have cracked the mystery". I would say you are 100% correct after studying the video and the shop in google maps using your obsevations.
                                  The angle of the shop and junction are exactly the same.

I think you are all wonderful sorting this for me, I will contact the other store tomorrow to see what more I can find out.

Great webside and all who help with the time and energy.

So all I have to do now is to get a capture photo from the video to include into my gt grandads tree...how do I do it ? ? ? , something to do with F11 I think ? ?.

I am a very happy chappie tonight..
                                  Thanks
                                  Tony

Comment

Hi all...
                                    Knowing the address where my gt grandad lived, it being above "86 Hornsey High St..above the shop" I have just checked Google maps very carefully again and found Ellies Studio on the corner where Keevans used to be is number 90a

Next door is 88 and the third one is numbered 86.

So it all ties up, they lived in the flat above 86 just a couple of doors from the shop.

Thanks Google Street View as well.....
                                    Tony

Comment

Hi all
                                      Just tried ringing the Keevans shop at 24-25 Topsfield Parade, Tottenham Lane, London N8 8PT, which seems to be the only one I can find on the internet, and the number given 0208 340 2267 seems to give me a problem.
                                      The reply is "this number has not been recognised" any thoughts please.
                                      Is this the only Keevans shop or has it gone along with many others during these hard times.
                                      Thanks
                                      Tony

Comment

Can't find any other trace of a Keevans. If you look on 192.com they give names and phone no.s of neighbours - you could always try ringing one of these and asking if the shop is still open.

Linda
                                        Linda

Comment

Working...
                                        X