Searching the 1911

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching the 1911

Am I imagining it or has a new search requirement been added? Have not used the site for a couple of weeks and today when I tried a full person search I was asked for Census Ref details as part of the required fields. I'm sure that I have not been asked for this before.

Is it me !!!?

It is only compulsory to fill in one box that has a red asterisk, either first name, last name or census ref - not all three.
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks for the explanation.

Comment

Does that mean you can put in a census ref (if you happen to know it) and get all the names???

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Does that mean you can put in a census ref (if you happen to know it) and get all the names???

Only if you put surname *a* wildcard search note the results and do the same for e,i,o,u,y which should cover most surnames

same goes for an exact address
          Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on
          http://mjfisher.tribalpages.com

Comment

Was there anything wrong with the 1911 census site yesterday (Saturday)? I was looking for a particular family and there were no matches even when I reduced the amount of information. Does it say No matches when it really means Far too many matches?
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

It says ' No matches ' all the time for me ! When it was first available I entered a name and the info with age came up. Since then it refuses to find this person or the parents & siblings however much information I enter.

Comment

Who are you looking for BC? Can we help?
                Elaine

Comment

Thanks for the offer Elaine. Am looking for a family named Antliff - it sometimes gets distorted to Ancliff or similar..There should be Mum + 4 children. Not sure about Dad !

Comment

Elaine - apologies but I fogot to enter thearea where they lived. It was London, probably Holborn or in that vicinity.

Comment

Do you have the names of the mum and children?
                      Elaine

Comment

Not sure if it will bring up the ones you are looking for but with a surname like Ancliff / Antliff you can keep the search criteria to a minimum.

First, click the box which says Show Advanced Fields.
                        In the last name box put An*liff and tick the Wildcard name option
                        In County - select London
                        Click search.

Using the asterisk in the surname will show any name which starts with 'An' and ends with 'liff'

This brings up some Antliffs and Ancliffs - can you see what you are looking for?
                        If not give us num's name and the children's names plus approx years of birth if you have them.
                        Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine. Names are Lydia (mother & daughter), Alice Elizabeth, Ellen and Francis Joseph. Dob's are 1871, 1893,1895,1897 & 1904,. Suspect there is/was another between the last 2 dates. Must now go & eat but will look again later

Comment

There's an 1896 (i.e. age 15) Lydia ANTLIFF in Holborn. Just off to work out who else is in the household with her.

Christine
                            Last edited by Christine in Herts; 22-09-09, 17:35.
                            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

It seems to be:
                              William Henry, age 44
                              Frank, age 13
                              Ellen, age 6

Christine

Comment

Looking at the FreeBMD database on Ancestry, it seems likely that Henry (b&d 1902) and Agnes (b&d 1905) - both d Holborn - are part of the family. Anything on the LMA?

Christine
                                PS - had a look. There are people of that surname with C or T, but none is definitively yours, as far as I can tell at a quick review.
                                Last edited by Christine in Herts; 22-09-09, 17:46.

Comment

Christine, many thanks for your efforts - I wish it would be as friendly to me !!!. Frank is Francis Joseph and William Henry is the husband and father.Was not sure if he was still there as have been told he and his wife split up but had no idea of when. Agnes may not be one of this family as there were other Antliffs in the same area BUT William Henry's mother was Teresa Agnes so it is possible that this is the line turning them into Catholics. May consider certificate if this family prove useful. Also Henry b&d 1902 is probably one of this Antliff family in view of the name but again, not guaranteed.
                                  Thanks again.

Thanks so much for this, it has solved a problem.
                                  Last edited by BC; 22-09-09, 18:45. Reason: Omission re Henry

Comment

I was using the less-is-more techniques already outlined...
                                    Using the 1911 Advanced Search allows you to use wildcards, or "names starting with...". I chose the wildcard option with "Al*lif*".
                                    On LMA, being Ancestry, you have to have at least three non-space characters before the wildcard, so I just did the searches twice: with "Altlif*" and "Alclif*".

Lydia is a less-usual name, so I started with that, and then used her in 19111 as "another name in the household" with the place names I'd already got from her name.

And it's always pleasing to feel I've helped - I appreciate your having said that.

Christine

Comment

Working...
                                    X