Don't forget to check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't forget to check

I have just had one of those YES moments using the LMA records.

I shall explain

I have been looking for a Thomas HAINES b.1821 clerkenwell, Middex. I have the baptism records for his sibling but couldn't find him, so using the new online records, I entered his first name and the fornames of his parents.
    I came accross Thomas HUGHES baptism 1822 at St James, Clerkenwell (same church as siblings), had a look at the image and it definatly says HUGHES, but fathers occupation matched what I was looking for,then I remembered that the details are not always written in the record at the time of the event, but you can find the original entry in the back few pages, so I skipped to the back of the register and seached for the date and there he was Thomas HAINES, not HUGHES, due to a ink blot it was mistranscribed back in 1822, Also the original record at the back gives his DOB which the other doesn't

So word of advice, just because its in a pretty bound parish register ( or web site) doesn't mean its right. Look for other evidence to support it.
    Vikki -
    Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

I've just had a YES moment too, although not on Ancestry.

Been whittling away trying to find a missing James Jepson, born 1772, never seen again (well, I couldn't identify him).

I just found a marriage for a James GIBSON to a Betty Ellison. Still wasn't sure but then found a baptism of a William ELLISON a month before the marriage - parents James JEPSON and Betty Ellison!

The image clearly said GIBSON and I can only assume he had a speech defect or something, as Jepson was an extremely common name in the area and the Vicar must have heard it before!

OC

Comment

I've found a few images that don't tally with the transcriptions, such as High instead of Higho.

Also found a marriage where the bride's father was given the same name as his son, though they were different. Probably the mistake was made because her brother gave her away. Their father had died some years previously. Her brother was a lot older than her and I expect he gave her away and the vicar assumed he was her father - or she gave the name in error herself.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks for the tip... definitely something to watch out for.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I didnt' realise you could do that Vikki ??? thanks for that

Comment

Thanks to Vikki's tip I'm searching the back of the registers of Christ Church Southwark because in the 1850s some of the pages are so poor you can't read the entries.

I'm just found an interesting one (nothing to do with my family):

26th May 1858
            Emma Constance, daughter of Harry Thomas (who died at sea 10th October 1857) and Emma his wife, born 28th Jan 1858 in latitude 46 degrees .1 - S 43 degrees 16' W - now living Nelson Square Blackfriars Road.

I really hope that the descendants of this girl get to see this entry! How do you look it up on a map?
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:
            England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
            Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Thats one reason you sometimes get 2 results for some searches, one nice and neat and the other a little ermmmmm rougher :Big Grin:
              Vikki -
              Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

Useful advice - thank you. Beginning to think mine were a pretty ungodly lot! Can't seem to find baptisms at all, and the marriages are the ones I already paid for! Still, it is useful to cross reference and am living in hope of finding some with the tips given on here.
                Saving on the cost of certificates does make it a lot more cost effective to have an Ancestry sub

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

I trawled through 10 years of burials at St Saviour, Southwark last night at 100% magnification - which meant that I missed the fact that there were FOUR pages of burials per Ancestry page not two (like 1841 census) as I had assumed:F:emb:. Back to 1791 now....:roll-eyes:
                    Sue

Comment

Working...
                    X