DNA matches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNA matches

If Merry or OC or anyone else could help please...I know a little about DNA testing and I have had a 67 Marker done about 4 years ago....Quite frankly I find them very misleading ..I have 808 12 marker matches...yes 808 ,don`t laugh...so to cut a long story short I have just received ..
    a 67 marker match with a genetic distance of 3....this is the closest match I have had yet...95% of all my matches are NOT from England....this one is...so that`s a bonus....for those who understand DNA ,you`ll know the European matches I get are unbelievable....so to get a 67 marker genetic distance of 3 in England has me thinking whether to contact this person....they have an e-mail addy listed....
    my query is ,just how close is this match and is it worth contacting them.....and am I right in thinking they are 4 generations away ??....ie...somewhere along the line we have the same 2 x g grandparents...but which ones ????.....like I said above...it`s all very misleading....your help or any info will be appreciated....thanks....allan:Wink:
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Allan

I'm not sure how the results are presented, but I assume like you that it means the connection is 3 OR MORE generations away!

The connection will be on your paternal side of course, your father's father's father. You will have to exchange trees with the contact to see where the connection is, IF there is one. Remember that 67 markers isn't an infallible match, and the connection might be between two brothers, cousins etc.

Let us know what happens as I would like to know how accurately you have been matched!

OC

Comment

Thanks OC....I`ll make contact....I`ll let you know what happens....wish me luck....allan:Wink:
      Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire

Comment

Allan

Yes, good luck and erm, I hope your new found relative isn't a nasty surprise, nudge nudge!!!

OC

Comment

A different surname than mine OC.....?????.....allan:conf:

Comment

Ooooh, Allan!!!

Seriously, looks like it may be a more distant match than "3 generations" implies.

OC

Comment

I`m not optimistic ...never am with DNA...it`s so hit and miss....anyway...hopefully ,we`ll get an answer.....allan:Wink:

Comment

There's an article on DNA tracing in today's Times which may be of interest to some. Looks to be a shorter article than in the print version.
                Is it worth paying to trace your ancestry? - Times Online
                Phil
                historyhouse.co.uk
                Essex - family and local history.

Comment

thanks Phil...I`ll have a look.....cheers...allan:smilee:

Comment

Working...
                  X