Baptised twice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baptised twice?

Enjoying all the records on the LMA but heres a weird one - weird part of the family this lot.

Emily Horstead marries Fred Elinor 1891.

Their daughter Ellen Beatrice jane Elinor is born 1895 and baptised the following year. THEN again they baptise Beatrice Elinor in 1904. Its the same girl as the note in the margin gives the same birth date. Why would they do that? Different church btw. AND the other thing - in the margin of the first baptism are the letters in capitals PB?

PB = privately baptised.

I expect what happened was she was baptised privately at home, not expected to survive. when the family started going to a different church, they weren't sure whether the private baptism had "taken" - maybe couldn't even remember where it was recorded, so had her done again.

I believe there is a special form of the baptism service when it isn't certain if someone has been baptised or not.

The alternative is that the second baptism was actually a "receiving into the Church", which ought to be done after a private baptism if the child survives.

OC

Comment

My lot were all baptised separately and then the vicar of the parish changed, the next child was born and they were all baptised again. On looking at the registers this happened to a large number of families under the new vicar
      Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on
      http://mjfisher.tribalpages.com

Comment

I reckon OC has it nailed.

I also have a family with some wierd multiple baptisms too. The couple's first two children are all baptised at a CoE a month after birth, as normal. Then the next three are born with no christening after birth, but 9 months after that third one, four are christened/baptised in a Methodist chapel (the eldest child is missing from all records at this point, and Methodist Revivalism was sweeping the area at the time). Three more children are then born, again with no christenings after birth, and finally another nine months after that third one, all seven plus the parents are re-christened at a newly built CoE on Christmas day! So one child has been christened three times and two children twice! I suspect the latter event was a mass congregation christening, especially given that it was Christmas Day and in the first full year of the new church's operation. Fascinating

Comment

Working...
        X