Searching LMA unindexed records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching LMA unindexed records

Besides searching the indexed LMA records by name, it says you can browse the unindexed ones. Here's what it says:

"About London,England Baptisms, Marriages anbd Burials 1538-1812

This data collection contains baptism and burial records from 1538-1812 and marriage records from 1538-1753 for more than 10,000 Church of England parish registers from parishes in the greater London area. Names in these records have not yet been indexed.
    However, images can be searched by record type, parish, and even date."

OK, I've found how to search by parish and date but for the life of me I can't see how to search by record type. I'm looking for a marriage which may have taken place at St Mary's Rotherhithe around 1798 or 1799. There are 305 pages of St Mary's records which include that time and I can only find baptisms and burials.The only way I can find my way around is to randomly enter a page number, hope it will show some marriages and find the years I want from there...but I can't find any at all.

Does anyone know how to search by record type? I can't see any instructions from Ancestry on how to do it.

Ann
    ".... thy memory shall be blest by the children of the children of thy child".
    Alfred, Lord Tennyson

I cannot see any way to search for record type. I think you've just got to find the parish, select the years and hope for the best!
    Elaine

Comment

I think you'll find that from 1754 onwards marriages were recorded in a separate register (the searchable ones on LMA) and so won't be in with the baptisms and burials
      Last edited by JudithM; 18-09-09, 19:51.
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
        I think you'll find that from 1754 onwards marriages were recorded in a separate register (the searchable ones on LMA) and so won't be in with the baptisms and burials
        But look at my quote from what Ancestry say Judith

"....and marriage records from 1538-1753 for more than 10,000 Church of England parish registers from parishes in the greater London area."

That gives the impression the marriage registers are there but I can't find them.... at least not Rotherhithe's which are the important ones for me.:F:F

Ann
        Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

That may well be the impression they give but these old registers contain baptisms, marriages and burials up to 1754 when a law was brought in that marriages should be recorded separately and then just baptisms and burials until 1813 when separate registers were brought in for those as well.

Edit - just read the passage you quoted and it clearly states the marriage records stop at 1753 and you said you were looking for 1798 or 99
          Last edited by JudithM; 18-09-09, 20:04.
          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I have looked through some of those registers and have found Marriages stuck in the middle of the register.

Think it's just a case of plodding through all the pages.
            Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
              That may well be the impression they give but these old registers contain baptisms, marriages and burials up to 1754 when a law was brought in that marriages should be recorded separately and then just baptisms and burials until 1813 when separate registers were brought in for those as well.

Edit - just read the passage you quoted and it clearly states the marriage records stop at 1753 and you said you were looking for 1798 or 99
              Doh! Thanks for pointing out my stupidity Judith! My excuse is that I am so excited by having access to all these new records that I just plunged in, hoping to find the elusive marriage that I've been wanting for years now and clearky didn't stop to think, never mind read properly!

Sorry:emb::emb::emb::emb:

Ann
              Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

Working...
              X