Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the difference between a Notebook and a Laptop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the difference between a Notebook and a Laptop?

I know one is larger but do they do the same things?

well sort of...

They both can perform the same tasks. Netbooks are a lot smaller and lighter than laptops but the margin between them is blurring a little these days.

The main difference is that there's no optical drive on a netbook which means that you'll need to hook up an external DVD drive to get your programmes in, unless of course you buy them as downloads from the internet. It also means you can't put CDs/DVDs in to listen to music or watch a film. But again, if you hook up the said external drive, then that does the trick.

Most netbooks come with Windows XP or a version of Linux, whereas laptops tend to have Vista. Saying that though, the new super thin Samsung X120 which is about to hit the UK market comes with Vista, so nothing is ever definite in the computer world.

The other thing is that netbooks usually only have 1GB of memory supplied as standard which is fine for most basic office stuff and surfing and using your tree programme but if you want to work with large images, videos etc. and also want to have loads of tabs open at once, then you will find the netbook struggling to cope.

Hope that helps.

PS forgot to say, if you're thinking to get a netbook make sure you pay a wee bit more for one with a 6 cell battery and not a 3 cell. That way you should get a whole day's work out of it before needing to recharge the battery. As 6 cell batteries (genuine ones) can cost about £100 - 150 then it's better to spend another c.£40/50 at the time of purchase to get the better battery as standard.
    Last edited by GallowayLass; 18-09-09, 14:54. Reason: add

Comment

Very informative reply. One thing you maybe able to help me with is if I buy 'Laptop' what is the best battery to go for?

Do you get a choice or take what goes with the 'Laptop' ? I have never noticed a choice of battery anywhere. Infact no one wants to talk batteries even in the best shops.
      How long could I use a Mid Price Range 'Laptop' for before it needs recharge?

I was advised by a salesman to buy a 'Laptop' that did only what I needed and no extra as the life of them is so short. He told me if you can manage with a really cheap one go for it.
      Margaret N
      DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

I can't say I've seen a choice on laptop batteries either Margaret but when I bought mine, I went on to all sorts of review and advice forums to see the pros and cons of each model.

The reason I know about the smaller netbooks is I've coveted one from afar for ages and I ordered one the other day so I've been doing the usual research. I'm so looking forward to going to GROS this year without feeling like I'm dragging the kitchen sink with me (I have a weak spine). I ordered a 6 cell Samsung NC10 as I'm happy with XP and don't want Vista and also if I can get a whole day's work done without having to take the power pack as well, that will be brilliant.

If you do go for the full size laptop I'd still pick one that has good reported battery life, 2GB of memory minimum and no less than 160GB hard disk size. Weight is an issue if you are intending to take it with you anywhere. Most research places will have a socket somewhere to plug in to, so you are best to take the power pack with you if you are working all day. By the time you add that to the laptop, mouse, stationery and your paperwork, the carry case will weigh a ton! I see that there are now laptops that are very thin and light compared to my 3 year old one which I would say was a middleweight back then. I don't think you can get a whole day out of a laptop on the battery alone but I am behind the times on laptops.

It will all depend on your budget, so decide your max spend and get what best suits what you will use it for.

Here's 3 links to show you the kind of advice out there;

Laptop Advisor - PC Advisor
        What Laptop
        Netbook Choice - Netbook News, Reviews, Forum and Analysis

Comment

Again, many thanks as sales staff are after all their to Sell. I will use the Laptop at home as I had never considered that I would need a removal van to take a laptop with me. I don't think 'Sir' would be happy about that.
          Margaret N
          DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Notebooks are the name now given to Laptops, they shouldnt really be used ON the lap as they have produced some nasty 3rd degree burns.

netbooks however, are like Galloway has said, they tend to be smaller, more portable, (I take mine to the records office with me) they generally dont have a cd drive, but you can buy external cd drives to use with them.
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Laptops/netboks on the lap problem is solved by having a cooling pad under them. The one I've got keeps my current laptop battery cool as a cucumber with 2 fans and runs from the laptop via USB cable.

Comment

Working...
              X