Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Devon muddle

Hi:smilee:

I have picked up these lines again but just can't get anywhere with them.

I would appreciate some expert help and advice, :Big Grin:

Richard Shapland bc 1785 N Molton, Devon. There are two baptisms on the, IGI, 1785 (par George and Mary) and 1790 (par Richard and Mary). I discarded the earlier one (maybe that was rash of me) as there was only the one child born to parents George and Mary and I have bought a Will for a George Shapland, with no mention of his son Richard. (that is if I have the right Will of George for father).

Margaret Slader bc 1781 N Molton. I have 2 baptisms again for her from the IGI - 1777 (par George and Mary) and 1779 (par William and Margaret)

The children of Richard Shapland and Margaret are Mary, George, John, William, and Richard.

I am so confused so any help much appreciated.

Thanks very much,

treesa

Have you tried Hugh wallis site Treesa?

they have a alot of shaplands in N. Molton

IGI Batch Numbers for Devon (N-Z), England

start with what you know,

I take it you have the details of rich/margaret and the children? and its backwards you are trying to progress? ie. find Richards Parents?
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Yes that's right. I am certain of Richard and Margaret and their children. I have tried the Hugh Wallis site.

I got a Will as I say, for a George Shapland, but his wife is Joan. George is the name of the father of the earlier bapt for Richard. However, as George and Mary only had Richard, maybe Mary died and George remarried and had further children. But Richard is not named in the Will, so either I have the wrong Will or the wrong bapt for Richard.

That's why I am a bit confused, the Devon ones can be difficult to unravel.

Comment

And there are two marriages, that may be for the same George; first wife Mary Thorne, second wife Joan Thorne.

Am I on the right lines.

Comment

Originally posted by treesa View Post
          And there are two marriages, that may be for the same George; first wife Mary Thorne, second wife Joan Thorne.

Am I on the right lines.
          ohh Mary dies and he marries her sister?? Joan
          Julie

Comment

Yes that's what I thought. First marriage in Kentisbury, second in North Molton. But I keep thinking of the Will, where George mentions his wife Joan and their children, but no Richard. Unless the Will is wrong and therefore I have gone completely wrong.

Would he have deliberately left him out?

Comment

is it posible richard was dead before george? or maybe living somewhere else?
              possibly an evil step mother scenario?

Comment

No I don't think so as I have Richard on census and can't find george.

Also George had his children in N Molton also.

Comment

Yes that's what I thought. First marriage in Kentisbury, second in North Molton. But I keep thinking of the Will, where George mentions his wife Joan and their children, but no Richard. Unless the Will is wrong and therefore I have gone completely wrong.

Would he have deliberately left him out?
                  not sure Treesa, I have devon relatives and I know they are a nightmare to find cos they all have the same names, (absolutely NO imagination where names are concerned)
                  Julie

Comment

Ahhhhh

Normally I have so much patience, teasing out the truth's and lines, but I admit defeat!!!!

No imagination for most of the names, I quite agree. There just doesn't seem to be any clues. I have searched for Wills and bought the ones I thought were relevant.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Comment

Maybe I have found a clue after all, but not hopeful. Witness on Richard's marriage was a William Slader, so could be helpful for his wife's line.

Comment

No I don't think so as I have Richard on census and can't find george.

Also George had his children in N Molton also.
                        which census do you have Richard on does it give an approx year of birth?
                        Julie

Comment

I have him on 41 and 51, after that nothing. Bc 1786 N Molton. The two on the IGI are for 1785 and 1790. I would favour the earlier one, but can't be certain at this stage.

No clues in the parents names either.

Comment

have been thinking on this, is there an OPC for N.M at all?

they 'usually' are quite happy to do lookups for you and more often than not can find the missing links that arent on LDS/HW site.

GENUKI/Devon: North Molton - Genealogy

there you go.. try emailing her and see what happens :smilee:
                            Julie

Comment

I would think though that the Richards are linked somehow, maybe its a cousin thing, but we wont know until you get some results. please let us know if you get anywhere :smilee:
                              Julie

Comment

Thanks very much for your help; I will do, in the hope that they can help.

treesa

Comment

Thanks very much for your help; I will do, in the hope that they can help.

treesa
                                  fingers x'd :smilee::smilee:
                                  Julie

Comment

Our posts crossed - I will let you know if I get anywhere, it would be great to unravel even just a bit of the family - may help others in the future!!

Comment

great! i'll look forward to reading the update :smilee:

I know when I contacted the OPC for Uffculme she was very helpful indeed and had unravelled alot of info for me.
                                      Julie

Comment

I have just found the Devon Family history Society and they have the 'Tree House' and online you can search for what they may have. You can visit in person , but also do postal enquiries. I searched for Shapland and Slader and they have family files for both,. Of course it may not help me, but it's always worth a shot. Of course I would pay for any copies that they have.

And of course, I have the OPC to contact, so all is not lost.

Thanks very much,

'I'll be back' as they say and let you know what I find out.

Comment

Working...
                                        X