Death in Paris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death in Paris

I am helping my sister in law with her tree, and we have found out that her Grandfather died in Paris in 1938 aged just 38. My sister in law's mother was only 7 years old so didn't know what the circumstances were. The family lived in Mauritius being of French extraction. Family history has it that he had travelled from home in Mauritius to France for medical treatment.
    Does anyone know how to get a death certificate from France if we don't know the exact borough (?) of Paris ?
    Thanks in advance.
    Julie

Smile, it confuses people.

Do you have any idea when he died?

Surprisingly, there's list of British people's Paris-death records at Kew. I can't remember the ref exactly, but could find out.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There are some records on Findmypast for overseas BMDs but they are for British citizens so if he was Mauritius that may not help.
      Margaret

Comment

The Wiki might help with some sites, but I think as you suggest you may need to know the district in Paris, otherwise it might have to be a researcher :(
        Margaret

Comment

Hi Christine,

He died on the 1st November 1938, we got this date from the family grave in Mauritius.
          Trouble is that we don't know if he was French and went to Mauritius or was born in Mauritius and would have been French colonial (?)
          Julie

Comment

Just wondering, does France have a GRO the same as in Britain ?
            Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Jules View Post
              Just wondering, does France have a GRO the same as in Britain ?
              not sure Julie but if you have a look at our wiki page below

France - Family Tree Forum

there is a member there that might be able to help you :smilee:
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. Perhaps a visit to Paris to have a (shopping) research trip is in order. :Big Grin:
                Julie

Comment

No equivalent of GRO in France but have you tried this? Looks like Paris town hall can track it down whether or not you know the 'arrondissement'

Retrouvez tous les services et démarches, les infos pratiques, les actualités et événements de la Ville de Paris.
                  CAROLE : "A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK"

Comment

It might be worth having a look here (tho' you're probably after a date that's too recent for this):
                    Archives en ligne : un point d'étape - Paris.fr

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi TaffyFrog and Christine,

Thank you both so much for the information. I have forwarded the links to my sister-in-law, my French is of the school type and not up the the questions.
                      She is very pleased for the help and advice received from everyone. It's hard to find any family history from Mauritius/France/Army records.
                      Julie

Comment

Working...
                      X